M3: Entry 5 – Google My Maps

As part of my land acknowledgment project, I want to create an interactive tool where students can share photos, videos or written stories to allow them to reflect on the land on which they live. As an online teacher, I have students across the province of Alberta so I have been playing around with a few different online tools such as ThingLink and Genially  to find the best way to share a map that students can add to themselves.  I found that Google My Maps was the easiest solution as it is free to users and quick to learn. It looks like there are many applications of the tool for different subject areas.

Mr Lee Teaches.   (2018, November 30). Google My Maps| Have Students Create Custom Maps for Any Subject. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvpt18Hi86w

One comment

1. Neat idea DeeDee! At my school, for beginning assemblies, we have tried to shift from the standard land acknowledgement where a student reads a district supplied script to one where the student tells us what the land means to them and why the land is important to them. It makes the acknowledgement more personal and relatable and less like a procedure that must be done.