M4 Entry 2: Canoe Building

I’ve learned that one of the important properties of Indigenous learning is the emphasis on the practical application of skills and knowledge. Experiential learning, holistic views, and integration to daily living practices are important parts of education and this is an idea I wanted to incorporate in my STEM lesson plans. I had the idea of using traditional Indigenous technologies and thought of incorporating mathematical and scientific outcomes to design and build a canoe. Here are some websites I’ve found to help me with the lesson plan.

I also came across this short video, of Micah McCarty sharing his story of the design and significance of his canoe. I think this could be a good hook for starting an Indigenous STEM lesson.

One comment

1. What a great IQ-CRE-STEM lesson plan you’re creating Seo-Whi!! I think combining traditional knowledge with modern teaching techniques, will help pave the way to allow our teaching methods to better focus on teaching the students for improving their intellect, their behaviour, their skills and their overall lives. By using various new and innovative ideas, through means of technology, experiential and holistic learning can be integrated into the daily living practices of our students. Some of our learning styles are and curriculum are outdated, and we are in dire need to revamp AND optimize our educational system to keep up with what is going on today and what will be happening tomorrow, for the benefit of our learners.

Great share and great lesson plan idea Seo-Whi!