M4: P1: Invite parents to be partners

Throughout this course there has been the important call to action to work not only with students but with the community. Cultivating place-based curriculum weaves many Indigenous knowledge and teaching best practices into learning. The challenge is how to build open communication with parents and families so that even if schedules and commitments prevent them from being in attendance that the are always part of the larger conversation and actively engaged in goals and outcomes.

These 10 things to consider when building relationships with family or parents are a helpful way of reflecting on what barriers could prevent that from being successful. This has important implications for decolonizing schools in communities as well.

https://www.gettingsmart.com/2019/10/10-strategies-for-schools-to-improve-parent-engagement/

1. Thanks for sharing! I think that three-way communication between student, parent, and teacher is so essential. I taught Kindergarten and Grade 2 students online this school year and I realized just how important it is to build relationships with parents and families. I’ve never worked so closely with parents before, but it has been so helpful. We came up with goals together in an effort to improve student achievement at home. I’d like to note that it’s challenging when a parent isn’t able to make the time to connect with you.

2. Hi Danika,
    Being in regular communication with the parents/family of students makes such a difference and I have found that parents really appreciate it too. Relationship building and including family and community into student’s learning is a theme embedded in BC’s First Peoples Principles of Learning as well!
    Thanks for sharing these tips!