M4 P3: Indigenous People React to Indigenous Representation in Film and TV

React is a popular YouTube channel that looks at the reactions of various people after they view content from YouTube. The channel has over 20 million subscribers and has had high profile guests such as Lewis Capaldi and casts of various Netflix shows/movies. In this video, Indigenous Peoples are reacting to how the Indigenous were represented in film and television in various periods of time. This would be an interesting video for students to watch and join in the discussion to see why misrepresentation is so detrimental to cultures. I would hope that students would agree with what many of the guests are saying and also feel a sense of unease when watching the clips from the films and television as they would understand that there was a problem with how the media were presenting the Indigenous Peoples to their viewers.

Similarly, Buzzfeed also made a video on this topic that you can view here as well. The guests here stress for the audience to not just take everything they see in media as the truth.

One comment

1. I have appreciated all of the media resources you have shared, as I can see each of them being used within my English classes and opening up meaningful and relevant discussions. I look forward to using them. Thank you!