Mod. 4/Post 4: Sufferance: A Novel By Thomas King

This has been my “guilt” reading the last couple of weeks.  I try very hard not to read fiction while I am taking a class and just focus in on my course readings.  But I enjoy Thomas King and very much wanted to read his latest book, so I made sure to carve out times at night or before my family woke up in the morning to read.  It was very timely piece with what is happening in Canada right now, as his main character has retreated from his profession, and the world, to reside in a vacant residential school where he takes out the crosses of the buried children and, with the help of a map with names of the deceased, makes a proper marker from river stones with their names carved in them.  The book delves into the inequalities of privilege and power; with a small town vetted against a small reservation and a camp of homeless people.  It was a great example of how communities can come together and fight against the system, yet they must also adapt to that culture’s ways to have an impact.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.