EDUC 272 – Class 1 (online)

January 1-24

General Introduction to January, February, and March Tasks

Welcome to your first task for EDUC 272! I’m Chris Campbell and I am very happy and excited to be working with you on one of your final courses in this program. If you would like to see a personal introduction from me, please go to our group’s WhatsApp account (EDUC 272 Dadaab) and view my introductory video. Also, please introduce yourself to me as soon as you can in a short video!

Please read Sections I, II, and III in the January Task, which will give you an overview of the three task you will do online before we meet in April.

Readings:

Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs,

LAB 1 – Law of definite composition
LAB 2 – Moles of iron and copper
LAB 3 – Determine empirical formula
LAB 4 – Stoichiometry
LAB 5 – Reactant in excess
LAB 6 – Gas laws
LAB 7 – Ionic covalent
LAB 8 – Properties of metals
LAB 9 – Thermodynamics
LAB 10 – Acid base titration
LAB 11 – Glowing penny
LAB 12 – Fiery water
LAB 13 – Molecular spacing
LAB 14 – Magic beaker
LAB 15 – Equilibrium returning colour
LAB 16 – Floating bubble
LAB 17 – Charcoal sausage
LAB 18 – Reaction kinetics
LAB 19 – The rising suds
LAB 20 – Disappearing precipitate

16 Responses to EDUC 272 – Class 1 (online)

1. Chris Campbell says:

Hello UBC EDUC 272 students!

My name is Chris Campbell, your instructor for EDUC 272. I am looking forward to working with you over the next four months on this course and hope 2016 is a good year for you!

I am very excited that I will have a chance to work with all of you in online and then in Dadaab!

…………….

We will do EDUC 272 in two parts:

1) Online from now until March 24.

2) Face to face in Dadaab from April 2.

During the course, we will use two main ways of communicating:

1) EDUC 272 BLOG

This blog will be used to provide you will all the documents for the course. You will also post your assignments and discuss topics there.

In the next two or three days, could you please:

a) Please become familiar with the course blog. Get on a computer with Internet and go to our blog: https://blogs.ubc.ca/dadaab/educ-272/. You will see that the format is much like Winston, who is one of my colleagues at UBC.

b) Read the full course outline. You can find it on the blog. I have also attached this course outline to this email.

c) Read Sections I, II, III of the document “January Task” This document gives an overview of your tasks from January to March. From January to March you will select a lab (from Labs 1-20 on the blog) to do with your students at your school. Your March assignment is to send me a video recording of you and your students doing the lab on WhatsApp. Please start working on the January Task as soon as possible so that you will have enough time to do everything.

d) Start working on the January Task. This is a big assignment!!! You will need to look at Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs and also at Labs 1-20. Please post your task on the blog by January 24. It is very important that you keep up with the work!

2) WHATSAPP GROUP

Our Whatsapp account is EDUC 272 Dadaab. This WhatsApp group is for shorter communications about the course and to upload your video of you and your students doing the lab in March before I come to Dadaab. Please remember that the WhatsApp group discussion is only for topics related to the course – it is a friendly but academic group focused on EDCU 272. It is not really for discussing other topics that are not related to EDUC 272.

Khalif Kobane and I have set this group up at telephone number 112506612242. Khalif is going to assist us if there are any problems.

In the next two or three days, can you please:

a) Sign up to the WhatsApp group.

b) Play my 1-minute self-introduction.

c) Introduce yourself in about 1 minute. You can record yourself speaking – as a video or as an audio file. I am interested in knowing a few things about you, your interests, and your teaching and students!

I hope you will work hard on this course because I think it could really help improve your teaching skills. I am looking forward to hearing from you and am ready to answer any questions any time about the course – please feel free to contact me with questions!

Thanks very much and good luck on this course!

Chris Campbell

2. Chris Campbell says:

Hi EDUC 272!

Below I give an example of how to answer the questions in Section III of the January Task. I wrote answers only for Question 1, 2, and 3. Please do all of them and keep the answers short!

……………

January Task – Answers

READING: Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs

Question 1
    What is your name?

Chris Campbell

Question 2
    How many chemistry laboratory experiments or demonstrations have you done as a teacher?

I have done 45 labs as a teacher.

Question 3 (0.5 marks)
    What was the most meaningful chemistry laboratory or demonstration that you did as a teacher? Why?

I like an endothermic reaction demonstration: Barium hydroxide Ba(OH)2-8H20 mixed with ammonium thicyanate NH4SCN. I did it when I was learning how to teach chemistry.

It’s simple but shows students how reactions can absorb heat. I it in a beaker on top of a piece of wet wood. Because the reaction is endothermic, it freezes the beaker to the wood! It is really memorable for students.

What was the most challenging chemistry laboratory or demonstration that you did as a teacher? Why?

The reaction above. It was challenging (it was dangerous) because I asked a student to try to separate the beaker that was frozen on the wood. She pulled the beaker hard and the reaction products went into her eyes. That was dangerous, but we washed her eyes out with lots of water and she was OK. I was only a student teacher then, but it taught me the importance of safety. Now I always ask students to put safety glasses on

Question 4
    Read pages 1 and 2 until the heading Laboratory Reports (Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs) and answer the questions that follow. These pages are from a laboratory text called Heath Chemistry.

Question 4.1 (1 mark)
    On page 1, in paragraph 3 this writer says: “Rather than using laboratory work to supplement study in the text, the text is used as an important source of information to supplement the scientific investigation that centers around the laboratory.”

Consider these two approaches to teaching and learning chemistry: (i) Using lab work to study the text; (ii) Using the text to study scientific investigation in labs. Which teaching approach do you think is best? Which approach are you familiar with in your own learning and teaching of chemistry? Explain in 4-5 sentences.

Question 4.2 (1 mark)
    Page 1 recommends carrying out experiments in three phases: pre-lab session, laboratory work, and post-lab session. In 4-5 sentences, summarize why they recommend this.

Question 5 (1 mark)
    Read the Laboratory Reports section on pages 1 and 2 of Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs. These ideas for getting students to report laboratory results without doing a traditional lab report. Choose one idea that you would like to try and write it below. Then state in 1-2 sentences why you would like to try it.

Question 6 (1 mark)
    Look at the Common Laboratory Equipment in page 4 of Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs. If you have any of the equipment in the picture at your school or you can find, make, or adapt something to fit the same purpose, list it below.

Question 7 (1 mark)
    List below the chemicals that you can find at your school or that you can get from other sources.

Question 8 (1 mark)
    List other things that you have or do not have that might affect your ability to have students do laboratory work (e.g., no source of natural gas for lab, lack of key chemicals, no fume hoods or safety features).

READING: LAB 1 to LAB 20

Question 1 (0.5 marks)
    Look through the first ten labs (LAB 1 to LAB 10) that are on the January page of the EDUC 272 course blog (https://blogs.ubc.ca/dadaab/). Select two that are interesting to you that you might like to plan and do in February and March. Identify these below:

Choice 1:
    Choice 2:
    Question 2 (0.5 marks)
    Look through the next ten labs (LAB 11 to LAB 20) that are on the January page of the EDUC 272 course blog (https://blogs.ubc.ca/dadaab/). Select two that are interesting to you that you might like to plan and do in February and March. Identify these below:

Choice 3:
    Choice 4:
    Question 3
    Evaluate these four labs for the following statements, giving each choice 1 to 5 points. For example, giving 5 points means that the lab you chose meets the statement very well. Giving 1 point means you think the lab you chose meets the statement very poorly.

Statement 3.1 (0.5 marks)
    I can do this lab with the chemicals, equipment, facilities, and resources I have at my school.

Choice 1:
    Choice 2:
    Choice 3:
    Choice 4:
    Statement 3.2 (0.5 marks)
    I can use this lab for learning that is connected to the Kenyan Chemistry Curriculum (Forms 2, 3, or 4).

Choice 1:
    Choice 2:
    Choice 3:
    Choice 4:

Statement 3.3 (0.5 marks)
    I can use this lab in my class to make students interested in the topic (T), to demonstrate chemistry content from the curriculum while the watch (C), to encourage students to investigate or inquire about a problem or question (I), or to get students doing hands-on work (H). (Note: You can answer below using many letters –for example: Choice 1: T, C, H)

Choice 1:
    Choice 2:
    Choice 3:
    Choice 4:
    Statement 3.4 (0.5 marks)
    I can name three instructional strategies you could use with each lab. List them below. (Note: Do you remember instructional strategies from previous courses? I have listed some below.)

Choice 1:
    Choice 2:
    Choice 3:
    Choice 4:
    Instructional strategies
    Observing students, questioning, giving feedback, explaining, giving guided practice, giving independent practice, coaching, tutoring one-to-one, eliciting, thinking inductively, students tutoring students, relying on previous knowledge….

Statement 3.5 (0.5 marks)
    Using this lab will lead to meaningful and active learning for my students. Give a reason for your answer, making sure that you identify the learning you would like them to get out of it.

Choice 1:
    Choice 2:
    Choice 3:
    Choice 4:
    Question 4
    Which of these four labs do you want to try in your class? Write the name of the lab below.

3. IBRAHIM MOHAMED WARSAME says:

NAME:IBRAHIM MOHAMED WARSAME
    UBC STUDENT NO:92964148

HAND OUT 1.1 PREMER ON LABS
    ( i am sending the answers only because iam using a smart phone which cannot accomodate all since i have no acess to computer)

Q1. my name is ibrahim mohamed warsame

Q2. I have done 20 chemistry labs as a teacher. some of the labs include volumetric analysis, acid and base reaction, heating carbonates, exothermic reaction,endothermic reaction, test of cations and anions,test of gases e.t.c

Q3. (a)the most meaningful chemistry lab that i did was the volumetric analysis because its normally common in the kenya national examination(k.c.s.e).

Q3 (b). The most challenging demonstration that i did as a teacher was the acid base reation because acids are flammable and can burn you. also acids are corrosive if it touches your body.

Q4.1. according to my perspective using text to study the scientific investigation in the laboratory is the best because the text is an important source of information to supplement the scientific investigation that centres around the laboratory. the text also contains questions to test the learners level of understanding . the text also provides background information needed to suggest investigation.

Q4.2 the three phases are very important when carrying out practical work in such away that pre lab session helps students to prepare the work to be done in the laboratory. laboratory work contains procedures and hints for guidance on how to do the practical and also to save time. post lab contains questions to be answered by students from their observation and this gives the learners extra skills and experience.

Q5. i would have try oral presentation because it enables the teacher to know each students level of understanding. oral presentation also impart learners with confidence and courage
    Q6. The following are the equipment in our school
    -test tube and rack
    -beaker
    -boiling tube
    -test-tube
    -evaporating dish
    -measuring cylinder
    -volumetric flask
    -wire gauze
    Q7. Chemicals that we have in our school include
    -salts e.g Nacl
    -acids-HCL,H2SO4,
    -base-NaoH
    Q8. -lack of enough bunsen burners
    -lack of some important chemicals
    -lack of fire extinguisher for putting off fire incase of danger.

4. Ahmed Bare Shuriye, stdnt id: 92966143 says:

Please read and answer to the following questions on a computer. Then, get on the Internet and open up the EDUC 272 course blog (https://blogs.ubc.ca/dadaab/) to the January page. Copy the words below and paste them into a comment box (i.e., below where it says Leave a Reply), add your name and email in the spaces, and then post your comment.

……….copy and paste words below this line………

January Task – Answers

READING: Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs

Question 1
    What is your name?

My name is Ahmed Bare shuriye

Question 2

I did 25 laboratory experiments

Question 3 (0.5 marks)

Enthalpy change, acid-base titration and rate of reaction; kenya certificate of secondary practical paper 3 consist of the above topics Therefore mastery of these practical areas prepare the student to sit KCSE chemistry practical examinations.

Question 4

Question 4.1 (1 mark)

Using the text to study scientific investigations in the labs
    I am really familiar with the approach of using the text to study the scientific investigation the laboratories;
    This approach supplements scientific investigations that centers arround the laboratory
    The text help the teacher to organise laboratory or practical lesson for the students
    The text also provide important information needed to suggest lab investigations and to interpret observations during experiments

Question 4.2 (1 mark)

These three phases are recommended because it breaks the bulk and reduces time to do the task as well as giving the students a good understanding of what they are expected.
    For example; prelab work prepares the student for the work to be done in the laborarator and points out reasons for doing the experiments as well as the problems being investigated.
    Laboratory work helps the teacher to give assignments, its procedural hints and suggestions.
    Post lab makes the students correlate, and evaluate the data they obtained related to the question required to solve.

Question 5 (1 mark)

Use of transparencies
    I would like to try this because use of transparencies saves time as students are issued with acetate sheet and pens to prepare tables of the data prior to the actual class.
    Then during presentation the tables made can be shown using overhead projector.

Question 6 (1 mark)

Buret, plastic wash bottle, wire gauze, burner , cylinder, triangle, test tube, funnel, beaker, crucible tongs, evaporating dish

Question 7 (1 mark)

There are alot of chemicals in our school so i cannot mention all them. Let me list a few of them;
    Acids e.g hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, sulphuric acids e.t.c
    Bases e.g sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, ammonium hydroxide
    Salts e.g sodium chloride

Question 8 (1 mark)

Our lab lacks source of natural gases
    It lacks safety feature like fire extinguisher
    It also lacks some important chemicals

5. IBRAHIM MOHAMED WARSAME says:

NAME:IBRAHIM MOHAMED WARSAME
    UBC STUDENT NO: 92964148

READING LAB 1-20.

Q1. Choice 1- lab no 1(law of definite composition)
    choice2-lab no 8(properties of metals)

Q2. choice 3-lab no 16(floating bubble)
    choice 4-lab no 18(reaction kinetics)

STATEMENTS.
    3.1 Choice 1-5
    choice2-4
    choice3-5
    choice4-5

3.2 choice1-5
    choice2-5
    choice3-5
    choice4-5

3.3 choice1-T,C,I,H
    choice2-T,I,H
    choice3-T,I,H
    Choice4-T,I

3.4 choice 1. questioning,giving fe
    edbac?,explaining
    choice2. coaching,explaining,questioning
    choice3. questioning,explaining,coaching
    choice4.questioning,giving feedback,

3.5 choice1. to enable the learners to know and calculate the difference in mass after and before the reaction of substances

choice2. to enable the students to compare the electical conductivity and malleability of different metals.

choice3. to enable the learners to compare the density of gases and liquids e.g CO2 , and soap solution.

choice4. to enable the learners to investigate factors affecting rate of chemical reaction and how they affect it e.g concentration, temperature, pressure and catalyst

Q4. I Would like to try lab no. 1 which is LAW OF DEFINITE COMPOSITION

6. Ahmed Bare Shuriye 92966143 says:

Name: Ahmed Bare Shuriye
    UBC student id no: 92966143
    Lab Questions
    Question 1 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: Acid base titration
    Choice 2: Fiery water
    Question 2 (0.5 marks)

Choice 3: Molecular spacing
    Choice 4: The Magic Beaker
    Question 3

Statement 3.1 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: chemicals are available in my school
    Enough laboratory aparatus are available
    It is examminable and mostly tested in KCSE examination
    It is easy to correlate, interpret and evaluate data obtained during this lab
    I can use this lab for learning that is connected to the kenyan chemistry
    Curriculum
    Choice 2: chemicals and all other resources are available in my school
    Choice 3: chemicals are available
    Choice 4: chemical are available
    Statement 3.2 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:I can use this lab for learning that is connected to the Kenyan Chemistry Curriculum
    Choice 2: I can use this lab for learning that is connected to the Kenyan Chemistry Curriculum
    Choice 3:I can use this lab for learning that is connected to the Kenyan Chemistry Curriculum
    Choice 4:I can use this lab for learning that is connected to the Kenyan Chemistry Curriculum

Statement 3.3 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:
    Choice 2:
    Choice 3:
    Choice 4:
    Statement 3.4 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:
    Explaining and giving guided practice.
    Observing students
    Giving feedback
    Choice 2:Explaining and giving guided practice.
    Observing students
    Giving feedback

Choice 3:Explaining and giving guided practice.
    Observing students
    Giving feedback

Choice 4:Explaining and giving guided practice.
    Observing students
    Giving feedback

Instructional strategies

Statement 3.5 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:
    students will be able to correlate, interpret and evaluate data after this experiment.
    Choice 2:
    Choice 3:
    Choice 4:
    Question 4

Acid base titration

7. Salat Abdi Msulwa says:

ABDI MSULWA
    UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
    STUDENT’S ADMISSION NO. 92957142
    CHEMISTRY ONLINE ASSINGMENT
    January 24, 2016 TASK
    READING: HANDOUT 1.1 – PRIMER ON LABS
    QUESTION 1.
    What is your name?
    My name is SALAT ABDI MSULWA.
    QUESTION 2.
    I have done 19 lab demonstrations as a teacher.
    QUESTION 3.1 What was the most meaningful chemistry laboratory or demonstration that you did as a teacher? Why?
    The most meaningful laboratory demonstration that I did as a teacher was acid base titration with form three students. This was because it gave me the accurate results that I was expecting I together with my learners.
    QUESTION 3.2
    The most challenging chemistry laboratory or demonstration that I did as a teacher was the above one. This is because I asked one of my learners to suck one of the reagents using a pipette and eventually he ended up putting it into his mouth. Quickly, I advised him to rinse his mouth immediately with a lot of water and fortunately it didn’t harm him. This laboratory demonstration was also time consuming and it took me a lot of time to prepare it that is why it was challenging.
    Question 4.1 (1 mark)On page 1, in paragraph 3 this writer says: “Rather than using laboratory work to supplement study in the text, the text is used as an important source of information to supplement the scientific investigation that centers around the laboratory.”
    Despite the fact that the two approaches are both useful to the teaching and learning chemistry but the choice (ii) Using the text to study scientific investigations in labs, is the best according to the Dadaab setting. This is the approach which I am even familiar with it in my own teaching and learning of chemistry. This is because in Dadaab secondary schools due to lack or inadequate of laboratory resources and at times lack of experienced chemistry teachers. Therefore, the text book plays a major role in investigating scientific studies in the labs.
    Question 4.2 (1 mark)Page 1 recommends carrying out experiments in three phases: pre-lab session, laboratory work, and post-lab session. In 4-5 sentences, summarize why they recommend this.
    The reasons as to why it is recommended to carry out experiments in three phrases; pre-lab session, laboratory work, and post lab session is that: In the pre-lab session, students are acquainted with the basic/background information such as the problem being investigated, reasons for investigating it, what is expected from the experiment, safe precautions to be observed and the procedure to follow in the experiment. In the laboratory work, this is where the students apply the theoretical knowledge gathered in the pre-lab session into actual experiment or practical in order to obtain successful learning experiences. While in the post lab session, students correlate, interpret, and evaluate the data obtained in the practical and draw their own conclusions based on the experimental evidences and also formulate new questions based on their results and suggest further experiments that might attempt to answer the questions.
    Question 5 (1 mark)Read the Laboratory Reports section on pages 1 and 2 of Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs. These ideas for getting students to report laboratory results without doing a traditional lab report. Choose one idea that you would like to try and write it below. Then state in 1-2 sentences why you would like to try it.
    The idea that I would like to choose and try is the idea of group reports: This is where students work in small groups to prepare a report. Members of the group assume responsibility for preparing rough drafts of various sections of the report. The drafts are reviewed by each member of the group and suggestions are made for revision. Then the final draft is prepared and submitted, the group is recommended or criticized for their effort. In this process they learn from each other. This idea is best to our environment or our Dadaab settings. This is because others like the use of transparencies cannot be used due to lack of the resources (projector) and others are time consuming and difficult in the preparation.
    Question 6 (1 mark)Look at the Common Laboratory Equipment in page 4 of Handout 1.1 – Primer on labs. If you have any of the equipment in the picture at your school or you can find, make, or adapt something to fit the same purpose, list it below.
    The list of common laboratory equipment that are found at my school or I can find them, make or adapt something to fit the same purpose are as follows:
    Ø Graduated cylinder
    Ø Test tubes and rack
    Ø Wide mouthed bottle
    Ø Florence flask
    Ø Burette
    Ø Plastic wash bottle
    Ø Test tube brush
    Ø Erlenmeyer flask
    Ø Thistle tube
    Ø Beaker
    Ø Funnel
    Ø Burette clamp
    Ø Wire gauze
    Ø Burners
    Ø Crucible with cover
    Ø Evaporating dish
    Ø Clamp holder
    Ø Test tube clamp
    Ø Crucible tongs
    Ø Triangle.

Question 7 (1 mark)List below the chemicals that you can find at your school or that you can get from other sources.
    The chemicals that I can find at my school or I can get from other sources are as follows:
    The chemicals are very many which I cannot mention them all but to highlight a few of them are; sodium chloride, hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid, sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide and ammonia hydroxide.

Question 8 (1 mark)List other things that you have or do not have that might affect your ability to have students do laboratory work (e.g., no source of natural gas for lab, lack of key chemicals, no fume hoods or safety features).
    Other things that I have or I don’t have that might affect my ability to have students do laboratory work are listed below:
    Ø Source of natural gases
    Ø Fire extinguishers
    Ø Some important chemicals
    Ø Ring stand (with rings)
    Ø Condenser. (water cooled)
    Ø Wing top
    Ø Pinchcock clamp
    Ø Pneumatic trough.
    Ø Filter flask.

READING: LAB 1 to LAB 20
    Question 1 (0.5 marks)Look through the first ten labs (LAB 1 to LAB 10) that are on the January page of the EDUC 272 course blog ( https://blogs.ubc.ca/dadaab/ ). Select two that are interesting to you that you might like to plan and do in February and March. Identify these below:
    Choice 1:Reactant in excess Choice 2:Acid Base Titration Question 2 (0.5 marks)Look through the next ten labs (LAB 11 to LAB 20) that are on the January page of the EDUC 272 course blog ( https://blogs.ubc.ca/dadaab/ ). Select two that are interesting to you that you might like to plan and do in February and March. Identify these below:
    Choice 3:Charcoal- sausage Choice 4:Disappearing- precipitate Question 3Evaluate these four labs for the following statements, giving each choice 1 to 5 points. For example, giving 5 points means that the lab you chose meets the statement very well. Giving 1 point means you think the lab you chose meets the statement very poorly.
    Statement 3.1 (0.5 marks)I can do this lab with the chemicals, equipment, facilities, and resources I have at my school.
    Choice 1:4Choice 2:4Choice 3:5Choice 4:5Statement 3.2 (0.5 marks)I can use this lab for learning that is connected to the Kenyan Chemistry Curriculum (Forms 2, 3, or 4).
    Choice 1:4Choice 2:4Choice 3:5Choice 4:5
    Statement 3.3 (0.5 marks)I can use this lab in my class to make students interested in the topic (T), to demonstrate chemistry content from the curriculum while the watch (C), to encourage students to investigate or inquire about a problem or question (I), or to get students doing hands-on work (H). (Note: You can answer below using many letters –for example: Choice 1: T, C, H)
    Choice 1:T, I, H.Choice 2:T, C, I, H.Choice 3:T, I, H.Choice 4:T, I, H.Statement 3.4 (0.5 marks)I can name three instructional strategies you could use with each lab. List them below. (Note: Do you remember instructional strategies from previous courses? I have listed some below.)
    Choice 1:Explaining, questioning, giving guided practice. Choice 2:Explaining, giving guided practice, giving feedback. Choice 3:Observing students, explaining, giving feedback. Choice 4:Explaining, giving guided practice, giving independent practice. Instructional strategiesObserving students, questioning, giving feedback, explaining, giving guided practice, giving independent practice, coaching, tutoring one-to-one, eliciting, thinking inductively, students tutoring students, relying on previous knowledge….
    Statement 3.5 (0.5 marks)Using this lab will lead to meaningful and active learning for my students. Give a reason for your answer, making sure that you identify the learning you would like them to get out of it.
    Choice 1:The students will be able to calculate the number of moles of each reactant in a chemical reaction. Choice 2:The students will be able to titrate and use the the data collected to find the molarities and percentage composition of vinegar and ammonia solutions. Choice 3:The students will be able to differentiate the type of physical and chemical changes in a chemical reaction. Choice 4:The students will be able to identify how a precipitate is formed and state the factors that affect solubility in salts. Question 4Which of these four labs do you want to try in your class? Write the name of the lab below.
    The charcoal- sausage.

8. Question 1
    What is your name?

GELLE MOULID IBRAHIM

Question 2

I did 20 laboratory experiments

Question 3 (0.5 marks)
    The volumetric analysis, enthalpy change, acid-base titration and rate of reaction; they are examinable topics in KCSE hence helps the students to do their practical exams leading good grades.

• Class control because the number of student were very many.
    • Shortage of equipment since the equipment were not enough.
    • Breaking of apparatus because the learner really do practical hence they are not used to be handling apparatus.
    • Time management was also a problem since there is a distance learners cover between the classroom and the lab leading to wasting of some minutes hence affecting lesson time
    • Large group because of the laboratory space and not enough functioning apparatus force me to used large group instead of small group hence these was also a challenge.
    • Sinfulness of girls to participate in class was also a hindering factor I encountered.

Question 4

Question 4.1 (1 mark)

To me, approach 2 is the best because it provide basic information that guide and help the students to do scientific investigation and prove for themselves that was said by a scientist very safely and find concrete answers otherwise student will get more risk and end up getting more confusion if they are asked to conduct an experiment without any reference materials even the corrosiveness of concentrated acid and other metals like potassium, lithium and carbon monoxide the student may not know without the text first, therefore using the text to study scientific investigation in labs is very vital.

Question 4.2 (1 mark)

The recommendation is very helpful to both the teacher and the learners in such a way that the teacher will present the content in a systematic method that enable the students to easily understand the content , also it enables the learners to develop scientific skills that are very helpful in their future, this minimize the assumption the teacher could make that his the mostly knowledgeable and his role is to pass knowledge to the learners, lastly it gives equal opportunity to all leaners to eithers learn at the same speed /level or to participate in all stages of learning.

Question 5 (1 mark)

 Partial report- it reduces time to evaluate laboratory reports and also helps to assess each student as individual.

Question 6 (1 mark)

 Ring clamp
     Test tube clamp
     Beaker tongs
     Glass dropper pipet
     Pipet
     Stirring rod
     Test tubes
     Test tube holder
     Watch glass
     Plastic graduated cylinders
     Plastic beaker

Question 7 (1 mark)
    List below the chemicals that you can find at your school or that you can get from other sources. cids acids e.g. hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, sulphuric acids etc.
    Bases e.g. sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, ammonium hydroxide
    Salts e.g. sodium chloride
    Indicators and Dyes like phenolphthalein

Question 8 (1 mark)
    Our lab lacks source of natural gases
    It also lacks some important chemicals
    It has no fumed hoods and safety features,
    It has no Safety goggles

READING: LAB 1 to LAB 20

Question 1 (0.5 marks)
    Look through the first ten labs (LAB 1 to LAB 10) that are on the Class 1 (January) page of the EDUC 272 course blog (https://blogs.ubc.ca/dadaab/). Select two that are interesting to you that you might like to plan and do in February and March. Identify these below:

Choice 1: lab 8, properties of metals
    Choice 2: lab 10, acid base titration
    Question 2 (0.5 marks)
    Look through the next ten labs (LAB 11 to LAB 20) that are on the Class 1 (January) page of the EDUC 272 course blog (https://blogs.ubc.ca/dadaab/). Select two that are interesting to you that you might like to plan and do in February and March. Identify these below:

Choice 3: lab 16, floating bubbles
    Choice 4: lab 20, disappearing precipitate
    Question 3

Statement 3.1 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: 3
    Choice 2: 4
    Choice 3: 4
    Choice 4: 2
    Statement 3.2 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: 4
    Choice 2: 5
    Choice 3: 1
    Choice 4: 2

Statement 3.3 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: T, C, I, H.
    Choice 2: C, I, H.
    Choice 3: C, I, H
    Choice 4: T, C, H.
    Statement 3.4 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: questioning, giving feedback, discussion strategies, inquiry guided learning, writing assignments
    Choice 2: questioning, giving feedback, Collaborative learning, active learning, critical thinking, writing assignments
    Choice 3: experimental learning, Collaborative learning, writing assignments
    Choice 4: explaining, giving guided practice, Collaborative learning,
    Instructional strategies

Statement 3.5 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: by the end of this lab, the leaners will be able to list appearance of metals, hardness of metal, explain electrical conductivity of metals and their reactivity with acids and water.
    Choice 2: by the end of this lab, the leaners will be able to utilize the titration data and calculate the molarities.
    Choice 3: by the end of this lab, the leaners will be able to compare the density of gases and liquids.
    Choice 4: by the end of this lab, the leaners will be able to form a balance chemical equations involving disappearing precipitate
    Question 4
    Choice 1. Lab 8, properties of metals

9. SAHAL AHMED BASHIR says:

JANUARY TASK
    Question 1
    What is your name?

SAHAL AHMED BASHIR

Question 2
    I have done 25 laboratory experiments as a chemistry teacher since I started teaching.

Question 3 (0.5 marks)
    The most meaningful laboratory experiment or demonstration I did as a teacher is the enthalpy change reaction, acid base titration (back titration) because they are the common examination experiment in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (k.c.s.e) and also the most convenient and applicable in the Kenyan scenario.

The most challenging experiments that I did was the acid-base titration because preparing the samples and the reagents is time consuming, besides it involves acids which are corrosive and dangerous to the learners…one of the student sucked the acid from the pipette and ended up burning his throat but I intervened.

Question 4

Question 4.1 (1 mark)
    Using the text to study scientific investigation. It enables me to refer the experiments from the text information and it acts as guidance in case the laboratory procedure is wrong and shallow. It also allows incorporation of the texts into practical field.

Question 4.2 (1 mark)
    It’s important to follow these three phases.Pre-lab allows the learners to prepare for the experiments by knowing the concept that were to be done in lab. Lab allows the experiment to be done by following the procedure and enables recording of the observation. Post- lab enhances the confirmation of the concept by use of the results from the experiment. It also correlate, interpret and evaluate the data they have obtained.

Question 5 (1 mark)
    Even though all are useful I prefer to use transparencies because it saves time as student are issued with acetate sheet and pens to prepare tables of the data prior to the actual class. Students can be shown by use of overhead projector.

Question 6 (1 mark)
    Burette, plastic wash bottle, test- tube rack, beaker, tongs, evaporating dish wire gauze, funnel, test tube, cylinder, burner, conical flask, triangle, pipette etc

Question 7 (1 mark)
    There are lots of chemicals that cannot be mentioned
    Acids, carbonates ( sodium carbonate, potassium carbonate etc) nitrates ,sulphates, phosphates , hydroxides , oxides .
    Question 8 (1 mark)
    No source of natural gas
    Lack of safety measures
    Lack of some key chemicals

10. SAHAL AHMED BASHIR says:

READING: LAB 1 to LAB 20

Question 1 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: acid ?base titration
    Choice 2: thermodynamics
    Question 2 (0.5 marks)

Choice 3: fiery water
    Choice 4:glowing penny
    Question 3

Statement 3.1 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: glowing penny
    Choice 2: fiery water
    Choice 3: thermodynamics
    Choice 4:acid-base titration
    Statement 3.2 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: apparatus and chemicals are available at our school
    Choice 2: apparatus and chemicals are available at our school
    Choice 3: apparatus and chemicals are available at our school and tested in Kenya constantly
    Choice 4: apparatus and chemicals are available at our school and tested in Kenya constantly

Statement 3.3 (0.5 marks)
    I can use this lab in my class to make students interested in the topic (T), to demonstrate chemistry content from the curriculum while the watch (C), to encourage students to investigate or inquire about a problem or question (I), or to get students doing hands-on work (H). (Note: You can answer below using many letters ?for example: Choice 1: T, C, H)

Choice 1:T,C,H
    Choice 2:TCH
    Choice 3:T,C,I,H
    Choice 4:T,C,I,H
    Statement 3.4 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: explaining , questioning, giving independent practice observing students, giving feedback tutoring one to one , group discussion

Choice 2: explaining , questioning, giving independent practice observing students, giving feedback tutoring one to one , group discussion

Choice 3: explaining , questioning, giving independent practice observing students, giving feedback, tutoring one to one , group discussion

Choice 4: explaining , questioning, giving independent practice observing students, giving feedback tutoring one to one , group discussion
    Instructional strategies
    Observing students, questioning, giving feedback, explaining, giving guided practice, giving independent practice, coaching, tutoring one-to-one, eliciting, thinking inductively, students tutoring students, relying on previous knowledge?.

Statement 3.5 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: in exothermic reactions heat energy is released from the system to the surrounding which gives some chemical reactions to proceed.
    Choice 2: students comprehend water as a substance the triggers the rate of reaction
    Choice 3: actively comprehend the concept of enthalpy changes in certain reaction and a well determine the heat involved in the reaction .

Choice 4: understand widely the concept of neutralization where acids are neutralized as they react with base to form salt and water.
    Question 4
    Thermodynamics

11. AMINA HASSAN ABDI says:

January Task ? Answers

READING: Handout 1.1 ? Primer on labs

Question 1
    What is your name?

AMINA HASSAN ABDI

Question 2

I have done 23 labs since I started teaching.

Question 3 (0.5 marks)
    The most meaningful and enjoyable chemistry laboratory lesson was when I was teaching lab preparation of ethanol. Class participation was very high. Again this subject is an examinable in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education.

The most challenging chemistry lab lesson was when I was conducting the above lesson I mentioned. One of the students sniffed the ethanol prepared and lost his conscious. we took him outside the lab and provided first aid assistance where after a while he regain his consciousness and was taken home by his friends. In fact it was a lesson for others.

Question 4
    Read pages 1 and 2 until the heading Laboratory Reports (Handout 1.1 ? Primer on labs) and answer the questions that follow. These pages are from a laboratory text called Heath Chemistry.

Question 4.1 (1 mark)
    On page 1, in paragraph 3 this writer says: ?Rather than using laboratory work to supplement study in the text, the text is used as an important source of information to supplement the scientific investigation that centers around the laboratory.?

The best approach to use when teaching and learning chemistry is the use of lab work to study the text. students understand deeply and better a practical lesson than a theory lesson since practical involves the use of all most all the senses hence there is high retention and remembrance of the content learnt.
    For me am familiar with both the approaches whereby there are some lessons you are suppose to carry out an experiment but you don’t have the materials needed then you have no option but to use it to supplement your lesson.

Question 4.2 (1 mark)
    PRE-LAB- Here is to prepare the students for the work to be done in the lab. It also acquaint them with the problems being investigated and make it clear what is being expected in the lab. Here the students are informed the dos and the don’ts in the lab.
    LAB- Here the students carry out the laboratory experiment either in groups or individually. The teacher also provide procedural hints and suggestions when necessary. Here the teacher does close monitoring of what is being done by the students.
    POST-LAB- At this time the students completes the questions and calculations that were given by the teacher. The teacher makes a follow-up of what has been done and conclude the lesson. Here the teacher encourages the students to draw their own conclusions based on experiment.

Question 5 (1 mark)
    Read the Laboratory Reports section on pages 1 and 2 of Handout 1.1 ? Primer on labs. These ideas for getting students to report laboratory results without doing a traditional lab report. Choose one idea that you would like to try and write it below. Then state in 1-2 sentences why you would like to try it.
    Reporting traditional lab result is time consuming, tiresome and difficult to evaluate conscientiously. I will use an alternative way to evaluate lab result by giving an assignment on the lab test done.

Question 6 (1 mark)
    Look at the Common Laboratory Equipment in page 4 of Handout 1.1 ? Primer on labs. If you have any of the equipment in the picture at your school or you can find, make, or adapt something to fit the same purpose, list it below.
    Buret
    Graduated cylinder
    Florence flask
    Wide-mouthed bottle
    Erien mayer flask
    Filter flask
    Thistle tube
    Funnel
    Watch glass
    Test-tube brush
    Plastic wash bottle
    Screw clamp
    Burner
    Triangle
    Condenser
    Everporating dish
    Test-tube clamp

Question 7 (1 mark)

Citric acid
    Acetic acid
    Bleaching powder
    Bromine water
    Lead nitrate
    Acetone
    Magnesium carbonate
    Potassium permangant
    Aluminium chloride
    Zinc metal
    Universal indicator solution
    Cobalt chloride paper
    Calcium hydroxide
    Ager powder
    Calcium metal
    Sulphuric iv acid
    Sodium chloride solution
    Hydrochloric acid
    Zinc hydroxide.

12. AMINA HASSAN ABDI says:

Question 8 (1 mark)

Inadequate burnsen burner
    Non-functioning fire extinguisher
    Inadequate personel
    Lack of effective lab
    No sources of natural gases
    Insufficien chemicals and equipments.

13. AMINA HASSAN ABDI says:

READING: LAB 1 to LAB 20

Question 1 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1: Lab 16 floating bubbles
    Choice 2:Lab 17 charcoal sausage
    Question 2 (0.5 marks)

Choice 3:Lab 20 Disappearing precipitate
    Choice 4:Lab 5 Reactant in excess
    Question 3

Statement 3.1 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:8
    Choice 2:10
    Choice 3:4
    Choice 4:2
    Statement 3.2 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:The apparatus and chemicals needed are available in the school
    Choice 2: Materials required are in school.
    Choice 3: For learning that is connected to the Kenya Chemistry Curriculum.
    Choice 4:For learning that is connected to the Kenya Chemistry Curriculum.

Statement 3.3 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:T
    Choice 2:I
    Choice 3:C
    Choice 4: C
    Statement 3.4 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:Observing students, Giving guided practices, Giving independent practice, Coaching

Choice 2:Explaining, Questioning, Giving guided practice, Thinking inductively, Observing students, clarifying, Demonstrating.

Choice 3: Explaining, relying on previous knowledge, demonstrating, coaching, students tutoring students

Choice 4:Explaining, Demonstrating, Giving guided practice, Questioning, Observing students, Giving independent practice

Instructional strategies

Statement 3.5 (0.5 marks)

Choice 1:Lab 16 Floating bubbles.
    By the end of the lesson the student should be able to state the different process that occurs between beaker (i) and (ii)

Choice 2:Lab 17 Charcoal sausage
    By the end of the lesson the student should be able to name the gas that could be used instead of carbon iv oxide

Choice 3:Lab 20 Disappearing precipitation
    By the end of the lesson the student should be able to name the other precipitous reaction

Choice 4:Lab 5 Reactant in excess
    By the end of the lesson the student should be able to calculate the number of moles in each reaction
    Question 4
    Choice 2 – Charcoal sausage

14. JAMAA MAHAMED HUSSEIN says:

1. JANUARY TASK
    Question 1
    What is your name?
    JAMAA AHMED MAHAMED
    STUDENT NUMBER :93043140
    Question 2
    Question 3 (0.5 marks)
    The most meaningful laboratory experiment or demonstration I did as a teacher is the enthalpy change of neutralization because it is easy to determine the volume of neutralization.
    The most challenging experiments that I did was the acid-base titration because preparing the samples and the reagents is time consuming, it is also quite risky as students may pipette the acids which is corrosive instead of base during the practical session.
    Question 4
    Question 4.1 (1 mark)
    Question 4.2 (1 mark)
    It’s quite essential to adhere these three phases. Pre-lab provides hint of the subsequent lab session. Lab allows the experiment to be done by following the procedure and enables recording of the observation. Post- lab enhances the confirmation of the concept by use of the results from the experiment. It also correlate, interpret and evaluate the data they have obtained.
    Question 5 (1 mark)
    Question 6 (1 mark)
    Burette, evaporating dish wire gauze, funnel, test tube, cylinder, burner, conical flask, triangle, pipette plastic wash bottle, test- tube rack, beaker, tongs, etc
    Question 7 (1 mark)
    Acids, carbonates, nitrates ,sulphates, phosphates , hydroxides , oxides, chromates, manganate, catalyst .
    Question 8 (1 mark)
    No source of natural gas
    Lack of safety measures
    Lack of some key chemicals
    READING: LAB 1 to LAB 20
    Question 1 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 1: acid -base titration
    Choice 2: floating bubbles
    Question 2 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 3: fiery water
    Choice 4: Reactant in excess
    Question 3
    Statement 3.1 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 1: floating bubbles
    Choice 2: fiery water
    Choice 3: reaction in excess
    Choice 4:acid-base titration
    Statement 3.2 (0.5 marks)
    Statement 3.3 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 1:T,C,H
    Choice 2:TCH
    Choice 3:T,C,I,H
    Choice 4:T,C,I,H
    Statement 3.4 (0.5 marks)
    Instructional strategies
    Statement 3.5 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 1: By the end of the lesson the student should be able to state the different process that occurs between different beakers by recording their different temperatures .
    Choice 3: actively comprehend the reactant which is in excess by determining their different molarity and getting their differences .
    Question 4
    acid- base titration

15. JAMAA AHMED MAHAMED says:

. JANUARY TASK
    Question 1
    What is your name?
    JAMAA AHMED MAHAMED
    STUDENT NUMBER :93043140
    Question 2
    Question 3 (0.5 marks)
    Question 4
    Question 4.1 (1 mark)
    Question 4.2 (1 mark)
    Question 5 (1 mark)
    Question 6 (1 mark)
    Question 7 (1 mark)
    Question 8 (1 mark)
    No source of natural gas
    Lack of safety measures
    Lack of some key chemicals
    READING: LAB 1 to LAB 20
    Question 1 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 1: acid -base titration
    Choice 2: floating bubbles
    Question 2 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 3: fiery water
    Choice 4: Reactant in excess
    Question 3
    Statement 3.1 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 1: floating bubbles
    Choice 2: fiery water
    Choice 3: reaction in excess
    Choice 4:acid-base titration
    Statement 3.2 (0.5 marks)
    Statement 3.3 (0.5 marks)
    Choice 1:T,C,H
    Choice 2:TCH
    Choice 3:T,C,I,H
    Choice 4:T,C,I,H
    Statement 3.4 (0.5 marks)
    Instructional strategies
    Statement 3.5 (0.5 marks)
    Question 4
    acid- base titration