What I no longer know

What I no longer know as a result of my community field experience

Due: Anytime between Tuesday, May 19-Tuesday, May 26

As individuals, we are often asked to demonstrate what we know. By doing so, we give evidence of our competence, abilities, intellectual capacity, and skills.  Yet, being in a  state of not knowing, or of questioning our knowledge, or even of un-learning and/or relearning, can be highly productive for our growth as teachers.

In this assignment, I ask you to write a short piece in which you respond to the following two questions: “What do I no longer know as a result of my community field experience (CFE)?” and “Why is this not knowing important to my teaching practice?”

If you have not completed a community field experience, please draw on your experiences in your extended practicum.

As you write this assignment, please remember:

• Answer both questions above.
  • Include a very brief description about the essentials of your CFE (because it is helpful to orient me to the situation and to learn more about you). If you have not completed a CFE and are drawing from your extended practicum, tell me the essentials of that situation.
  • Your audience for this assignment is me, your peers, and other readers at UBC and beyond who visit the course site.
  • I encourage you to write in conversational tone typical of many education-related blog posts.
  • Length: 200-250 words maximum.
  • Consult page 3 of the syllabus for evaluation criteria.
  • You may also wish to include this post as a sample of your writing in your teaching portfolio.
  • ***Important: When you have posted the assignment to the site, please send me an email (to isabeau.iqbal@ubc.ca) with the url of the post. The main reason I ask you to do this is because I want to have your email address [the one you use on a regular basis for school-related things] in order to send you feedback.

PLEASE be sure that you have properly submitted the assignment.  Your assignment should be visible under the menu item “Student Work” in the sub-menu “No longer know”.

Please contact me with questions. Note that you will have the opportunity to re-submit the assignment if it does not meet the above requirements.

Instructions for submitting the assignment:

Submit your assignment directly via the course site (view screencast below for detailed instructions on how to do this).

Remember to toggle the Category “No longer know” otherwise your assignment will get lost among the numerous posts on the site and I will think you have not submitted it.

View this screen cast for instructions on how to upload your lesson plan into a post.

As with other assignments, you can choose to make the visibility of this assignment public or private (private means only you and me can see it).

If you are feeling challenged by how to use the WordPress technology, please contact UBC Blog Support (https://blogs.ubc.ca/support/) or drop-in to a Scarfe Digital Sandbox Session. You can also come to my office and I can show you how to do this.

Credit: Inspiration for this assignment came from my colleague, Dr. Graham Giles. Thank-you!