moving forward

I’m excited to announce I’ll be starting a new position on 01 November.  Here’s the blurb that was sent to our team today:

We have concluded the search for the Senior Manager, Curriculum Consulting.  This role provides a liaison between the activities of the Centre and the Institute, focusing on facilitating campus-wide curricular, teaching and learning initiatives. It is our pleasure to introduce to you the successful candidate for the position, Dr. John Egan.  Many of you know John as an Instructional Designer and Project Manager within the Distance Learning team of the CTLT.

John has many years experience as an instructor, facilitator, course designer, program administrator, and educational researcher.  As an educator and trainer he has experience in the community, adult, corporate, private post-secondary and university-levels, in Canada and internationally.  Much of his experience involves curriculum initiatives: from launching a new post-graduate medical program for physicians at the University of Sydney to the mapping of curriculum and course developments across a number of programs at UBC.  His work has been published in The Journal of Interprofessional Care, the International Dictionary of Adult Education (2005), and the Handbook of Adult and Continuing Education (2010).  John has served as an editor of special editions of  Convergence and New Directions in Adult and Continuing Education, as well as publishing several book chapters in related fields.  John holds a PhD in Educational Studies (Adult Education) and an MA in Adult Education, both from UBC, as well as a BA in Communication Studies from SUNY Oswego.

I’m pleased and honored to have been selected. But I’ve also never applied for a great job when I already had a great job. Very freeing, but very weird to think “great if I get, great if I keep my current gig.”  Some of my work will be re-allocated to others while my replacement is hired; I’ll continue with a couple of projects that have deliverables in the new year.

Wish me luck!

About John P Egan

Learning technology professional.

4 Responses to moving forward

1. Scott says:

Congrats John!

2. Camille says:

Awesome! MET (and 565) will miss you though!

3. John P Egan says:

Merci Camille. Mais je ne pars pas: je vais continuer enseigner dans le MET!