Peer Presentation

Presentation Title: Landscape composition mediates movement and habitat selection in bobcats (Lynx rufus): implications for conservation planning

Presenter: Alex Briault

Alex presented on a paper where the authors aimed to determine the characteristics of bobcat (Lynx Rufus) movement, habitat selection, as well as the environmental covariates that influenced such characteristics. I was initially intrigued about this paper because the study involved GPS collar-tracked movements of bobcats in Vermont as this seems to have become a popularized method in tracking wildlife. If I recall correctly, the results showed that the male bobcats traveled more than the female bobcats, and forested areas were favoured by both. As well, the graphics presented by the authors in their results section were quite amazing. Overall, I thought the paper presented was very interesting, and the methodology used for their analysis was quite practical in studying the change in spatial configuration of landscapes and its impact on wildlife that inhabit the environment.