A Place to Make a Difference

I have been a member of Equity Ambassadors for a year and a half, during which I got a chance to make a difference in others’ lives, as well as my own.

I learned about the peer programs by chance, when I was browsing opportunities to be involved on campus. That was when I first heard about the Equity Ambassadors, a peer program that works towards raising students’ awareness of equity and diversity, and come up with ways to make UBC a more inclusive environment. I was pleasantly surprised to find a program that centered on what I’ve been passionate about, but it took me some determination to join, as I was expecting the group meeting to be lecture-like seriousness, with lots of arguments in between. I mean, these are serious issues to talk about, so the group meeting would be stressful too, right?

I was so happy I didn’t let that thought stop me from going to the first group meeting, because it was completely opposite of all my worries! In a fun, relaxing environment, we shared our ideas about social justice while active listening to what each other has to offer with respect. Throughout the year, I was really lucky to participate in meaningful projects such as the video and poster campaigns, to raise students’ awareness on diversity and challenge discrimination based on stereotypes. I got the opportunity to develop a project that, even slightly, made others’ lives better by providing knowledge on equity and diversity, as well as resources to help students in need.

The involvement with the peer programs also made a difference in my own life. I have learned to collaborate with people from very diverse backgrounds, and appreciate ideas that were different that mine. My communication skills have improved significantly, as I had the opportunity to give a workshop at the Student Leadership Conference last year. As the representative of Equity Ambassadors, I also went to the peer programs retreat this summer. There I learn to become a student leader, and I got to know people from different peer programs and make friends that are far beyond just social networking.

The peer programs are places for learning about others and myself, and it was where I started to make a difference. It was fun and meaningful, and I’m really glad that I decided to be involved

^ Photo of the Equity Ambassadors booth at the Know Your Status (HIV) event

– Catherine Tsai, Second year Science, Equity Ambassadors