I think of myself as an ‘old’ newbie to this beautiful campus.

Collectively, I’ve spent nearly a decade at UBC Vancouver, as both an undergraduate student and a former staff member. Since rejoining UBC-V at the end of 2015, I’ve found myself happily surprised by staff resources I didn’t know existed – particularly as they relate to making my two and a half hours daily commute more enjoyable (or bearable).

So below are some helpful resources on this theme, which may also be new for you too – however long you’ve been on staff.
working on laptopLearn during your commute

You may know that as a staff member, you have access to Lynda.com, an online resource that offers training modules on diverse topics. But did you know that staff have a premium membership through UBC? One of the perks of this is that you can download courses for offline access.

If you spend a lot of time commuting via public transit, you can now learn as you go – without blowing up your phone’s data plan.

Install the Lynda.com app to download courses onto your device of choice  – and redeem those long hours on the road. 

Access secure bike storage

Interested in cycling to work but a little concerned about how secure your bike will be?

UBC offers free storage facilities around campus where you can lock up your bike in a covered and secured enclosure. There’s even one in North Parkade, adjacent to Brock Hall.

You can also purchase a personal bike locker for $10/month.

bike commuterPractice securing your bike on the bus

If your commute is long, throw your bike on the bus part way – maybe in the last stretch when hills greet (or taunt at) you before your arrival on campus.

If, again like me, you never quite remember how to do this and fumble long enough for the bus driver to sigh, get down, and help you, you can practice on an actual Translink bike rack located across from the AMS Bike Co-Op Office in the old SUB.

Oh, and Co-op staff promise not to watch, either.

Drive if you must – but park for less

For those of you who drive to work occasionally (or regularly – though you are likely aware of the following), take advantage of discounted staff rates.

While the cost of a day pass still rings in at around $10.50 (including tax), it’s still cheaper than paying by the hour – for those days when you have to drive to get to an 8:30 am meeting and had hit snooze one too many times. Am I speaking from experience? Possibly.