Volunteer to support the Brock Hall United Way Campaign

The 2021 United Way Campaign officially kicks off on October 14 and runs through to the end of the year. Each year United Way campaign for Brock Hall supports the UBC campaign through annual giving and fundraising events such as bake sales, pancake breakfasts, and the always popular 50/50 draws.

Help us continue to raise funds and create fun ways for Brock Hall to support the campaign. Join the Brock Hall United Way Committee! Not sure you have much time to volunteer? You can participate by brainstorming ideas, helping with event logistics, or coordinating prize donations.

Our first meeting will be on Wednesday, October  6 at noon. Comment below, or email Coby if you’d like to volunteer.

Everyone across UBC Vancouver and Okanagan is invited to attend the UBC  Campaign virtual event kick-off on October 14 at noon. Register and show your Local Love.

Orange Shirt Day and the National Day for Truth and Reconcilliation

Image from https://irshdc.ubc.ca/orangeshirtday/
On September 30, we invite you to join us in wearing orange in recognition of all of the children who attended residential schools, honouring survivors and remembering those that did not return home. Consider attending a local event, donating to survivors’ support and initiatives, helping to spread awareness, and taking some time for personal reflection and “walking your learning forward”.
Here are some places you can learn about upcoming events and available resources to support education, reflection and action:

Showcase a fall reflection snapshot on UBC Today

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

What does the change in season symbolize to you?

The change in season gives many of us a reason to pause and reflect – whether it inspires an appreciation for fall colours, delicious food, time spent with friends and family, or simply the start of something new, we all bring our unique points of view. This fall, we want you to share a photo that captures what this season symbolizes for you.

What do you need to do?

• Complete this form and submit a photo that captures what the fall season means to you.
  • Ensure your image is high resolution.
  • Share relevant image credits.
  • Write a caption that describes the photo.
  • Submit your photo, image credits and caption via this form by Monday, October 4.

Meet the SRA Team

Posted on behalf of Hilary Finch

Student Recruitment & Advising is excited to have some fresh new faces joining us this fall! We are very excited to welcome Shuren Batkhuu and Romil Jain to the team!

Preferred name: Shuren Batkhuu
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Role: Student Recruitment Representative Co-op
Campus: Remote

Favourite pastimes: Volleyball, Netflix, Long walks outside
Favourite food: Tie between Xiaolongbao and Kimchi soup
Favourite movie/ TV show: Changes all the time, but currently Money Heist
Favourite place to be: Anywhere with family (but especially our summer house in Mongolia), Lake Baikal in Russia, Sentosa in Singapore
Do you have any pets? Toy poodle in doggo heaven – he was such a good boy! I would love to adopt in the future

Educational/ Professional background: BA Psychology student entering my last year at the Vancouver campus after 2 years of BSc Biology at the Okanagan campus! I’ve completed my previous co-op terms as a Student Advisor at the Arts Co-op Office and stayed for a few more months as a contract employee before joining the SRA team.

Personal background: Born and raised in Mongolia, but I also consider Singapore my second home (talk about weather changes!). A little fun fact is that I’ve completed my elementary, middle, and high school at different schools and the trend continued at UBC allowing me to explore both of the lovely campuses! I have 2 older sisters and a younger brother and I am passionate about everything mental health. I also love meeting new minds and I am super excited to join the team 🙂

Preferred name: Romil Jain
Pronouns: He/Him
Role: Associate Student Recruiter-Advisor
Campus: Okanagan

Favourite pastimes: Gym and Mixed martial arts.
Favourite food: Vada Pav (You can find it at some Indian restaurants in Kelowna and Vancouver, trust me now thank me later.)
Favourite movie/ TV show: Breaking Bad, Billions, Ann with an e, Godfather
Favourite place to be: Sipping cold juice on a hot afternoon at the beach.
Do you have any pets? No, but I love dogs.

Educational/ Professional background: I graduated from UBC’s Okanagan campus as a member of the class of 2020. I worked as the VP finance & Administration and the President for Student Union Okanagan of UBC during my time as a student. I worked with Alumni UBC as an Alumni Coordinator prior to starting my journey with UBC’s Recruitment team.

Personal background: I was born in India, but grew up in Yangon, Myanmar. I moved to Canada in 2015 to start my post-secondary journey at UBC as an international student, which turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. I met some truly incredible people during my time at UBC and I hope to reciprocate the experience I had at UBC for others.

We would also like to take a minute to send our warm wishes and congratulations to Stephanie Zeleznik, who will be leaving us to go on maternity leave in October. In her absence, the wonderful Katrina Iuvancigh will be temporarily stepping in as Manager, On-Campus Recruitment. Katrina is joining us all the way from the other side of our Okanagan office, where she has been working as an International Student Recruiter-Advisor since 2016. We look forward to working with Katrina over the next year!

To see all of these new and familiar (and extremely photogenic) faces, check out our team’s contact sheet.