It’s been a few months since we’ve introduced new ES staff on the blog, so you may already know some of the faces below! Whether you’ve been working with them for a few months, or are just meeting them now, please take a moment to learn about and welcome your colleagues to Enrolment Services.

Kim Nguyen, Enrolment Services Support, Student Records Management, Vancouver Campus

After moving from Edmonton to Vancouver, I started working at UBC Hiring Solutions in 2021 and was fortunate enough to complete two assignments with ES. I really enjoyed my time working in the department, which led me to hopping on the opportunity to join the team semi-permanently.

Ask me about: Dogs, snowboarding, and beautiful hikes/trails in and around Vancouver

It’s Hugo!

Amandus Mashamba (He/Him/His), Associate Student Recruiter-Advisor, Vancouver Campus

Part of the role I am working in involves strategic recruitment, and continued support of self-identifying Black undergraduate students to UBC

Amandus is originally from Tanzania where he worked as a secondary science teacher for 4 years before coming to UBC as a graduate student in 2018. He completed his MEd (Administration and Leadership) from UBC in 2020. He has previously worked at UBC in numerous capacities: as an Associate Co-op Coordinator for the Applied Science (Engineering) Co-op Program between March and July 2022; an Exam Coordinator at the university’s Center for Accessibility, and as a Graduate Student Career Advisor at the Center for Student Involvement & Career between May 2019 and November 2020 combined.
Throughout these roles, Amandus finds work in a student service capacity meaningful and of immense value as he constantly learns new ways to be helpful to students while deepening his perspective by learning from his colleagues and students alike, and their diverse backgrounds.

Ask me about: Black Panther (MCU)

Rachel Cheung (Preferred name), Shuk Ying Cheung (full name) (she/her/hers), Enrolment Services Coordinator, Student Support and Advising, Vancouver Campus

Rachel was born and raised in Hong Kong, she has a Master in Business Administration from UK. Before joining UBC, she was an HR administrator in an Immigration Services Agency assisting payroll administration and study work permit application. Before coming to Canada, she had 10 years of banking experience in Hong Kong; and she was a HR recruiter for 7 years. Now she works in Enrolment Services Team to support the Student Direct Stream application process for the team.

Ask me about: Rachel enjoys bakery and cake flower piping as her habits. She will do some bakery for relaxing when she has spare time at home. Let her know if you have interest in making cake flowers, she is more than happy to share the skills and have fun together.