Summer in Vancouver is the perfect time to spend with your pets.  The weather isn’t terribly hot (nothing like over there in the Okanagan!), there are always fun, dog-friendly events happening around the city and dog parks, beaches and hiking trails are plentiful.  Here in the Admissions office we’ve been having lots of summer fun with our pets and wanted to introduce them to you!

Meet Beebee!

Beebee
Beebee
Breed:  Bichon
Age:  11 years old
Owner:  Cindy Tong
Favourite thing about Beebee:  I like how Beebee is extremely affectionate. When I’m sitting at my desk on the computer, he likes to curl up and lay by my feet.  He also likes to cuddle up next to me on the couch when I watch tv.
Beebee’s favourite pastime:  Beebee enjoyes eating cake, ice cream and orange slices.  He also likes playing with his miniature tennis ball and he loves to nap.
Interesting fact about Beebee:  He loves to rummage through the trash can at night and hide the food scraps he finds underneath the couch.

Introducing Po!

Po
Breed:  Pug
Age:  10 years old
Owner:  Arthur Redillas
Favourite thing about Po:  Po is very gentle with kids – my 14 month old nephew and 11 month old niece squeal with delight when they see him- and he loves to cuddle. If you are sitting on the couch, he will find the tightest spot possible next to you and settle there.
Po’s favourite pastime:  Aside from laying around all day – in one of his two dog beds, the couch, the armchair, the rug and sometimes even on the balcony (yes, he is King of the Castle) – Po, like all pugs, is completely obsessed with food.
Interesting fact about Po:  His worst habit is waking me up at 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning to be fed his breakfast; he loves his half a banana and handful of blueberries every morning.  He also loves to high-five, though I know he always has an ulterior motive: the treat that comes after the high-five. If you don’t give him his treat, he will show that he’s annoyed by sneezing until you give in.

Po Hiking at Lighthouse Park

Next up, Tilly!

Tilly with Nicola Tilly

Breed:  Airedale Terrier
Age:  5 years old
Owner:  Nicola Austin
Favourite thing about Tilly:  I love Tilly’s adventurous, intelligent and friendly nature.  Tilly will enthusiastically be up for canoeing, boating, cycling and road trips.
Tilly’s favourite pastime: Tilly enjoys eating vegetables in the garden when Mom isn’t looking, digging craters in the garden to lay in to keep cool and chewing on logs – the bigger the better, especially the ones moving in water at high speeds; she loves a challenge!
Interesting fact about Tilly:  Tilly’s ancestors were used extensively in the First World War to carry messages to soldiers behind enemy lines.  They were also used by the Red Cross to find wounded soldiers on teh battlefield.  There are numerous stories about Airedales delivering messages and saving soldiers despite terrible injuries inflicted in battle.  After the war they became popular due to their notoriety for being brace, courageous and intelligent.  By the 1920’s they became the number one breed in the U.S.  Many famous people had Airedales as pets.

Watch out, here comes LaFawnda!

LaFawnda LaFawnda close-up

Breed:  American Eskimo x Shiba Inu (also know as “Imo-inus”)
Age:  1.5 years old
Owner: Monika Malczynski
Favourite thing about LaFawnda:  My favourite thing about LaFawnda is her charm. Whenever I take her out for a walk she will consistently pull the leash in sheer excitement when she sees someone approaching.  Her tale wags out of control, her ears go back and the expression on her face is as if to say “hi! I’m so happy to see you! I love you!” to every passing stranger. It’s very difficult to resist Lafawnda’s unwavering charm, whether a stranger or not (she gets me every time).
LaFawnda’s favourite pastime:  LaFawnda loves to sit up on top of the arm rest of the couch (not the couch itself) and stare timelessly out the window.  She is also obsessed with playing.  The first thing LaFawnda does when I get home (after approaching me with that loving “I’m so happy to see you” face) is bring her foam bone or ball and drop it to my feet.  She then stands back, with one paw raised, waiting until I will either kick or throw her toy.  She will not move from that spot until you throw the ball or bone.  If you move away she will follow you and continue to drop her toy every where you go.  This never stops.  Seriously, NEVER.
Interesting fact about LaFawnda:  Lafawnda is like a cat. As mentioned, she loves to sit on the arm rest and stare out the window.  She also licks herself clean and does not like to cuddle.  If you try to cuddle LaFawnda she will start panting excessively and try to struggle her way out of your arms.  She loves eating vegetables (romaine lettuce is her favourite), swimming in the ocean and be chased by other dogs.

Last but not least, here’s Navi!

Navi

Breed:  MaltipooNavi says hi
Age:  2.5 years old
Owner:  Ivy Ko
Favourite thing about Navi:  I love Navi’s face and her silly personality.
Navi’s favourite pastime:  Navi loves to cuddle and steal/chew on socks!
Interesting fact about Navi:  She’s just a bundle of joy and I love her so much.

Want to learn more about these breeds? Have questions for the owners? Want your pet to be featured in our next blog?  Leave a comment in the box below!