What exactly is an “Enrolment Services Professional”? On December 7, 2017, in the SSA annual retreat, the ESPs explored just that question—who exactly are we? How do we define our work? And how can we define our role to allow for an increase in visibility and accessibility on campus?

With identity as the theme of the day, we began by exploring the different types of work we do. From advising students through complex financial crises to explaining a fee assessment, our roles are unique and varying. By discussing what it is we do, we were able to move on to defining the role itself.

The ESP model been evolving since its inception in 2012. Reflecting back on what they explored at the Student Support & Advising Retreat, Dorothy Tran, an ESP since 2012 and Melissa Kuipers, an Associate ESP since October 2017, give some further thought from the perspectives of an ESP veteran to one of the team’s newest members.

How would you describe the ESP role?

Dorothy – I like to think of us as Enrolment Services Advisors that strive to make the student experience a positive one by providing holistic advising to all students in the areas of admissions, financial planning, student loans, awards & scholarships, and registration; helping students navigate different resources, services and policies on campus; and making meaningful connections across campus. We also balance all this with ongoing project teams whether they’re awards to faculty teams. The thing that still holds a special place for me is getting to know the students in my cohort and hearing their stories.

Melissa – As an Associate Enrolment Services Professional, I’m not assigned a specific student cohort. Instead, I act as a resource for students who don’t have an assigned ESP (graduate students, prospective students, or post-bacc students to name a few). In my role, I help students navigate a number of complex systems, from financial aid to tuition, admission requirements to graduation applications, and everything in between! As a UBC alum, I know how complicated just getting through the year can be, and I see the ESP role as a go-to to help ease the pain of complex university processes so that students can enjoy their time at UBC, relatively stress-free.

Do you think the ESP role has evolved since it was first introduced? How?

Dorothy – Definitely! From when the ESP model started to now, we’ve deepened our connections and relationships with different units and stakeholders on campus; increased our programming from financial literacy workshops to a Scholar’s Community for our major award winners; and made the student experience a priority with QLess to online web forms and webinars. This is just a snapshot so ask another ESP and you’ll hear a different perspective.

Melissa – Absolutely. While I’m new to the role, I was actually a 2nd year UBC student when the model was first introduced. I recall not knowing much about ESPs, other than the few emails I would receive from mine (shout out to Holly Ma and Hala Nugent!). Later in my undergrad, I felt the role became more and more visible. Instead of being the people I would see to drop off my tuition cheques, ESPs became go-to resources for information on campus. Now, I feel that ESPs are more visible and embedded in the campus community—facilitating workshops, being involved in peer programs, and being more immersed in different units on campus.

Looking back, the ESP retreat was a reflective one as we examined our work as advisors, and looked to the present and future to see how to build hope in our work with students and ourselves through the work and research of Norm Amundson. As an instructor in the UBC Counseling Psychology Program, Norm was able to help us hear the hope and resilience of an ESP’s journey to Canada and what it meant to give up everything to be here. It was fitting that the retreat also celebrated the contributions of ESPs and ESCs who’ve been here for 5 years of service. To these ESPs and ESCs they’ve made the work we do so much more meaningful, and enjoyable. To acknowledge them, they’re Nikki Baker, Selene Buendia, Jeaninne Cairns, Fran Hannabuss, Eleni Korres, Jenny Li, Holly Ma, Bushra Mirza, Kathryn Mudie, Scottford Price, Frishta Safi, and Stephanie Snow. As well, a special thanks to the Associate Registrar and Associate Directors who’ve started with and guided us from the beginning, Darran Fernandez, Jennifer Chin and Mike Becir. We can’t think of a more amazing team to be a part of!