Peer AdvisorThis year, the Academic & Involvement Centre will be having a First Year Peer Advisor (FYPA) again on-board with them during the busy registration time. Here is a brief introduction that she wrote herself:

Hello everyone! My name is Evelyne Kiiza and I am a 3rd year international student here at UBCO. I am from Tanzania which is a beautiful country located in East Africa next to Kenya and Uganda. The reason why I chose to attend UBCO is because UBC has one of the best psychology programs in Canada and mostly also because I heard about the beautiful summers and not-so-harsh winters. I enjoy hiking, going to the beach, playing softball and volleyball, playing the flute, eating sushi (trying new food in general), and meeting new people. I am super happy to be a part of the Advising and Involvement Center for the summer, and I can’t wait to meet all of the incoming first-year students.

As this year’s First Year Peer Advisor (FYPA), I will be communicating with first year students to ensure they have their courses in order and to make sure they have all the necessary services needed to succeed here at UBCO. I will be available by email, phone, skype, and in person in UNC 207. Everyone is more than welcome to drop by with any questions or just for a quick hello.

Here are some fun facts about Evelyne:  

What are three adjectives that best describe you?
Approachable, inquisitive, energetic

What is one thing most people don’t know about you?
I hold two different coloured pens when taking notes in class and I alternate between them without putting either down. I can also write with both hands.

If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?
Teleportation, because It would be awesome to go anywhere I want at anytime. I love to explore places, meet new people, and eat good food. Along with teleportation I would love to be able to learn any language instantly; this would come in handy with teleportation.

What do you love about Academic Advising?
I love that it is a place of opportunity and exploration. It is a place where you can discuss your future, hopes, and passions with people who will try their level best to help you get there. I also love that we have friendly team that will follow up with you to make sure you are in the best academic path possible.