Deb: History of Residential Schools in Canada

I didn’t know what research topic I should work on until when I posted up the last posting for Module 1. Most of my postings focused on First Nations students and their education. For my weblog, I would like to pay my attention to Aboriginal schooling and its history, especially on residential schools in Canada.

Then, I started my research on the history of residential schools in Canada and discovered that CBC News has a story archive regarding Canada’s residential schools. One of the articles also ask and answer the following questions:

• What is a residential school?
  • How many residential schools and students were there?
  • What went wrong?
  • When did the calls for victim compensation begin?
  • Under the federal compensation package, what will former students receive?
  • What will happen in those cases of alleged sexual and serious physical abuse?
  • Is there more to the package than compensating the victims?
  • Who else has apologized for the abuse?

Adding to these questions, I would like to research on “Why did residential schooling begin?”.

These residential schools remind me of the group of young Korean women taken to Japanese rape camps during World War II. Therefore, in addition to the history of residential schools in Canada, I would like to do some research on the “comfort women” and explain how these two histories are similar in terms of colonialism and indigeneity.