bio

UBC Nitobe Garden in the Spring © Jenny Zhu

Hi there, my name is Jenny.

I’m a fourth year Biology student at the University of British Columbia. I often get asked: “what do you specialize in?” And the answer? I’m keeping it general (for now), so that I can go into secondary teaching later on. My plan for the near future is to complete my Bachelor’s of Education at UBC and become a French-Immersion Science/Biology teacher. Perhaps after a few years of teaching, a specific topic in Education will inspire me to pursue a Master’s, or if I’m very passionate – a PhD.

At the age of five, I would line up my stuffed animals and pretend to be a teacher. So as far as I can remember, education has always held a special place in my heart. Through various co-op terms I have had the opportunity to explore teaching in different environments and educational research, and  have finally come to understand why I enjoy teaching so much. It is the passage of knowledge, the ability to influence and guide (positively, hopefully), and the expansion of the innovative STEM fields in teaching that drive me to invariably pursue opportunities in education.

Education is a huge part of my life, but when I have extra time I like to visit my family in White Rock, volunteer, watch documentaries, listen to podcasts, and dance salsa-rueda. I get overly-excited when I land on new teas that I like. I’m very lucky to call Vancouver home.

This semester, ENGL 301 is the only course I am taking so hopefully I can dedicate a lot of time and heart to improving my technical writing skills and create a good community with my peers. Let the journey begin.