Letter of Application

5665 Boundary Road

Vancouver, BC V5R 0E4

September 15, 2019

ENGL 301 Technical Writing Class

University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear Technical Writing 301 class:

My name is Jojo (Syau-jing) Huang, I am writing this email to put forward my application to become a member of your writing team for the English 301 Technical Writing class.

To begin my application, I would like to briefly introduce myself. I am now a fourth-year computer science student in UBC’s BCS second degree program, while I got my first bachelor’s degree in accounting in China. Studying and working in two different majors gave me great chances for professional writing in different areas. For example, I used to be a management consultant in Shanghai, in which I needed to propose various formal documentations to help our customers to refine their enterprise process. Also, I was a product support and software engineer Co-op intern in SAP and Arista Network in Vancouver respectively, from which I learnt a lot about how to write formal emails to communicate with customers and how to cooperate with the teammates. With all of those writing experience, I think I can be a good candidate of your writing team, and I will be able to contribute to the team with some different insight, especially when doing peer review with teammates.

However, I have to admit that since English is not my first language, sometimes I may express my idea in some improper way. Also, I think some other weaknesses of me include the lack of confidence and leadership, as I usually asked some senior colleagues to review my documents and make the decision in my previous jobs. I hope I can improve them in the writing team!

My learning philosophy is to always go one layer deeper for new knowledge, which actually comes from a famous research paper in computer science. By going one layer deeper, we can have a better understanding and different insight of the knowledge. Moreover, sometimes we may find our previous conclusion is superficial or even wrong.

Please feel free to contact me at jojoxiaojing@icloud.comif you have more questions or want to learn more about my background and experience. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes,

5665 Boundary Road

Vancouver, BC V5R 0E4

September 15, 2019

ENGL 301 Technical Writing Class

University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear Technical Writing 301 class:

To begin my application, I would like to briefly introduce myself. I am now a fourth-year computer science student in UBC’s BCS second degree program, while I got my first bachelor’s degree in accounting in China. Studying and working in two different majors gave me great chances for professional writing in different areas. For example, I used to be a management consultant in Shanghai, in which I needed to propose various formal documentations to help our customers to refine their enterprise process. Also, I was a product support and software engineer Co-op intern in SAP and Arista Network in Vancouver respectively, from which I learnt a lot about how to write formal emails and user manual to solve customers’ problems and software design documents to discuss my idea with my colleagues. With all of those writing experience, I think I can be a good candidate of your writing team and contribute to the team with some different insight.

Besides, I am also good at the communication and teamwork. In my previous experience, we always need to talk to the customers to understand the issues before any writing. And we will usually have team discussions for the candidate solutions and have a review process before sending any documentation to the customers. I think those experience can also be beneficial to the writing team, especially when doing peer review with teammates.

Please feel free to contact me at jojoxiaojing@icloud.com if you have more questions or want to learn more about my background and experience. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes,

Jojo Syau-jingHuang