Key is…. Customer Service?

While many of us think that the most popular restaurants and stores are the ones that sell the best product, in my opinion, the key of maintaining loyal customers and attracting new consumers is customer service. The fact is, most stores think that in order to have good sales, they must convince their customers that they need their product. But throughout my entire shopping life with my parents and friends, i find that most people leave stores not because the product is too expensive or the product has poor quality, but rather that they didn’t like the service or the attention they wanted from the service staff.

So, how much difference does customer service actually make? Well I’d give you an example right now, my parents have been bringing me to the same Chinese restaurant ever since I went back for high school, reason why? Well yea… they know the staff there, think they are friendly, and the food comes out fast. Although the food quality is probably the same as any other random restaurant on the street, it is the relationship between the restaurant and my family that counts. Sometimes the key to success isn’t how much time or money you spend on creating an excellent product, but the way you treat your customers, or at least how they feel they are treated when they’re in your store. You may not realize it, but that’s usually why they come again.

Although many firms presently think that mediocre or poor service is enough if they have a good product, think again. During my first year in Vancouver my friends brought me to a restaurant (which i will not name) that sold probably the most delicious chicken rice I have ever tasted. Even with an outstanding product, the atmosphere in the store was very poor, the staff didn’t seem to care what you thought of them, they throw your food at you, and give you grins when you ask for more tea. Well, that just didn’t cut it for me. Until the beginning of this year, when my friends told me their attitudes became alright, did i start going back to that store again.

When firms compare customer service to quality of the product, sometimes employers can overlook this and cause major problems to the firm. Although it may be costly, hiring and training your employees to provide good customer service is something that must be done in order to maintain good customer relationships and a sustainable advantage in your market.