Vancouver Downtown Eastside: “Open” for business

I came about a Globe and Mail article that mentioned Save-On-Meats and immediately remembered the COMM101 lecture about “social entrepreneurship”.

The article explained the new breath of life into the neighbourhood of the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver; entrepreneurs and housing development were venturing into the declining area.

What really stood out from the article for me was “…[merchants] see opportunities to be enterprising because of cheaper leases, spruced-up buildings and, generally, a vibrant, youthful environment.” The word “opportunities” and social entrepreneurship goes hand in hand, and the fact that merchants, themselves, realize they see potential in such an area is brilliant. Together, the businesses who saw this opportunity have started to overcome the “outdated notions of a seedy area in decline”.

It also stated that in 2005, nearly 35% of the area on Hastings Street was an empty storefront, but the vacancy rate dropped to 13% by April 2012. This statistic reminded me that since there are more businesses in town, there’s more opportunities for people  in the area to become employed, resulting in more people off the streets and hopefully, on to a better life. I believe there’s definitely a new hope for the Downtown Eastside.

I’d love to visit Save-On-Meats and experience the place in person, and it’d be an extra treat to actually get to talk to the owner and hear about his stories and future goals.

Original Article: Jang, Brent. “Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside is open for business.” The Globe and Mail. 13 November 2012 Web. 15 November 2012. <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouvers-downtown-eastside-is-open-for-business/article5265614/>

18. November 2012 by Katie Chow
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment