Mad Toy- Che, he steals lightbulbs?

This week we were tasked with reading Mad Toy, by Roberto Arlt, which I actually enjoyed reading quite a bit. In the beginning before I committed to reading this book, I tried looking around for some information about the book and found that there were a whopping 0 reviews of this book on Goodreads, with only Spanish reviews for the Spanish version of the book. This intrigued me as I have never encounter this before and needless to say I think I made the right decision.

I think the writing style of this book is a lot more digestible and entertaining, at least in comparison to Combray (yes I am bringing it up again). I find myself following the words and pages more intently and with more curiosity. It could be merely because this novel is more plot driven, and my brain is more oriented to follow stories. However, I suspect it might have something to do with the elements of the  “picaresque” style that was mentioned in lecture. Also I do think that the writing style is quite intriguing on its own- its mentions of other texts and characters really adds a different feeling to the novel and provides a lot more context.

I think being told in first person with the mix of Silvio’s thoughts and actions pulls you more into the story as if you are experiencing the story as the main character, Silvio. the depiction of a “picaro’s journey ” I would assume also adds to the fascination I have with the story overall. I think in modern day, across various mediums, the picaresque kind of storytelling is sort of experiencing some form of renaissance. Collins dictionary defines a Picaresque story as “one which is dishonest but likeable person travels around and has lots of exciting experiences”.  Which funnily enough, before even hearing about about this idea of the “picaresque” story style, I thought to myself that this book strangely reminds me of the Wolf of Wall Street. I guess arguably the trajectory of the books might not be the same, however the focus and framing of the story really reminds me of that kind of storytelling. Our culture’s fasciation with this sort of anti-hero really cultivated my interests in these types of characters and I find Silvio to actually occupy a more specific niche which was very fresh as well. Also forgot to mention that I am a big fan of “episodic” readings so that probably also adds to my enjoyment of this novel.

Also as a complete side note- they named their thieving trio “Club of the Gentlemen of Midnight”??? That is an amazing name. That certainly is a name only someone that age could come up with.

The question to you all this week is:

Within the book Silvio often references different authors/figures some of which he looks up to. Is there any fictional or non-fictional character that had or continues to have that sort of impact on you?

1. You point out that “Silvio often references different authors/figures some of which he looks up to.” I wonder if you think that *helps* him negotiate his way around life as a poor kid in Buenos Aires, or gets in his way?

(For what it’s worth, a classic example of reading getting in the way of life is the most famous of all Spanish novels, Don Quixote. So I’m sort of wondering if Silvio is a Quixote type…)

2. Hi! I also tried to find reviews about this book (to see if my opinion was not idiotic, haha). It was surprising to see nothing about it, for sure! Especially when it is so interesting, too.

I do agree that the writing style is more picturesque! It definitely differs from any story I have ever read, but regardless, it was written amazingly.

Regarding your question, I do not have any characters that impacted me directly. I think with every story I read, I can feel deeply for the characters (which makes the reading experience more intense)

3. Hi Kelly!

I loved reading your thoughts on Mad Toy and I think I share similar sentiments with you on the book. As for your question, I think that there hasn’t been one singular figure that I could pinpoint as having a large impact on me, but there is a group I think that has shaped who I am today. Some of the most prominent would have to be Naruto and Lightning McQueen.