The Shrouded Woman – The Feminine Perspective

The Shrouded Woman by Bombal was this weeks required reading, which is sort like a series of vignettes inspired one by one by different people who have come to visit this dead woman at her funeral, and is then told from her perspective. I think just the premise of this kind of novel seems to be a pretty popular choice somewhat by writers, as popular books even nowadays seem to feature that sort of exploration, such as The Midnight Library. One thing that is different though is that the intention behind recounting your life and I guess the overarching message as different authorial intents kind of leads the readers to different conclusions. For examples, a lot of the times authors sort of loom the question of “what would you have done differently?” or “What are your regrets?” or “What are the final lessons you actually learn looking at your life to gain peace?” over our heads as the main character sort of gets this revelation in the face of death. However, for this book, I sort of feel like this books focus was about honesty. I think in many ways it works to capture the authenticity in Ana Maria’s thoughts, beliefs, and most importantly emotions, even though at time they may be immature, immoral or whatever that might be. Point is that I don’t think she is trying to curate this image of herself, or what she “means” to be to prove a point. I think the portrayal of her authentic experience sort of utilizes this structure in a different way, sort of like an answer to the question: what was a woman’s life like during this time and place? What could she possibly be thinking about? How would she feel about this topic? It sort of works to answer this question about identity more.

One thing that particularly stood out to me is that the construction of the novel is about delving into moments of her life again, but the centre of the narrative is very very concentrated on this sort of nuclear family and their family business. I think a lot of times it is true that female authors put a much heavier emphasis on the relationships of those around them and I found this book to be the same way. I imagine that if I were to write down my own life story or recount what recall at the time of my death, I probably would do the same too. But I guess I also recognize that in the time and place of where Ana Maria lived, women likely were conditioned to primarily focus on their family and manage the family etc. so in some sense, they are primed to place much more significance on this topic. By just considering the focus of her recalling the events of her life, it sort of gives rise to a broader conversation about the positions and roles of women at that time and place.

Question: Which character in the novel stood out to you the most and why was it Maria Griselda? Just kidding please let me know who it is and why.

1. “I think it’s often true that female authors put much more emphasis on the relationships of those around them.” This seems like a provocative hypothesis to me, and since you mention it, I think it would be worth tracking down the novels that we still have to read. So far there is one exception: Proust. Let’s continue talking about this in the coming weeks.

2. Hi Kelly! I loved your analysis about how the narrator isn’t trying to ‘prove’ a point but to authentically tell the story about a woman in Chile in the 1930s, about her life, her thoughts and feelings. Your perspective concerning honesty was something I have not thought of and was refreshing to read! For your question, Maria Griselda was indeed the most intriguing character for me as well. The drama surrounding her and her beauty had me wondering about her allure that even had rivers falling in love with her.

3. Hi Kelly,

I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on The Shrouded Woman and how it left you with the message of honesty and authenticity, something that I didn’t realize. To answer your question, I think the character that stood out to me the most would have to be her first lover, as I feel like the visceral nature, heartbreak, and passion served to be one of the most emotional and vulnerable we see Ana Maria.

4. Hi Kelly, I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I liked your take on the construction of the novel, I never really thought of the novel’s central focus being on the idea of a nuclear family, but reading your thoughts now I definitely see it. To answer your question, I would say I genuinely loved Ana María. The way she recounted her past moments and the imagery surrounding it was done so beautiful and it just stood out to me so much.

5. Hi Kelly! I really loved your analysis, I really like your emphasis of the nuclear family, I definitely found that part super interesting. In response to your question, I was most interested in the character of Silvia because of the way her life was tragically ended under the infatuating presence of Maria Griselda. I thought that this was almost eery in a way, as it appeared that everyone appeared to be in a trance by her presence, and unfortunately for Silvia, that meant taking her own life. Can’t wait to read next week’s post!

6. I like your how your response underpins the issues that are prevalent in our society in relation to the book. Your point on female authors often emphasizing relationships is something I have not though about before, but certainly a very compelling thought.