letters

Letters are kind of old school, but they’re one of my favourite ways of communication.

It’s so much easier to just take out my phone and message my friends on Whatsapp and Facebook (or Kakao, since I’m in Korea), but I really think that writing letters is really a lot more thoughtful. Though it might take a  lot longer to arrive at its destination, I think it’s obvious that whoever wrote the letter put some amount of time and effort into writing a message, and paying for it to be sent (in my case, across the world). So, even though I talk to the people that I send letters to almost every day, I know that if I were in their shoes I’d love to receive a letter or postcard from them.

I’ve also developed a habit of checking my mailbox once in a while, even though I don’t have any expectations of getting any mail. So imagine my surprise when I found a letter in our mailbox – and it belonged to me too!

Even though it was just a simple letter and card from my parents for my birthday, I was really happy to have received anything at all. That’s not to say that no one else wished me a happy birthday, but getting a card made it feel a lot more special and sentimental.

I should also mention that getting letters and packages (especially when you’re halfway across the world from most of your family and friends) makes me really emotional. But it’s really one of the best feelings, to get a letter from someone that you care about who’s 8154km away from you.

Which is why I send letters and postcards out, even though I have to pick the paper or postcard, it takes 3 weeks to get to where I want them to be, it takes time to think of what to write, and I have to pay for postage. Every part of it is worth it.