body positivity

Korea is a really vain country and obviously, you’re going to become more vain while you’re here due to all the influence around you…

There isn’t really any other way to put how obsessed with being pretty and skinny all Koreans are. There are beauty and makeup stores littering all the streets, lots of commercials on TV and on the subway selling plastic surgery and diet pills, not to mention all the k-pop idols who only ever seem to get skinnier.

When you’re walking on the street, you can’t help but notice how skinny and petite all Korean girls seem to be, and when you live here for four months, you can’t help but be influenced by them, and wish that you were like them. Even if it’s just a little bit. I won’t deny that I haven’t done it either.

When I first got to Korea, I decided that I had to really take care of myself really well and not eat many unhealthy things – no snacks, not many desserts, lots of fruits, veggies, and proteins. I even worked out (what a suprise.. I’m surprised I was able to do it for a full 2.5 months) which resulted in me losing 5 pounds.

5 pounds!! 

And my stomach was totally flat too.

But then I got sick and couldn’t work out properly and now I think I’m back to the state I was in when I arrived in Korea. I’ve been eating more snacks and I haven’t been able to work out since I’m getting so busy.

And surprisingly, I think I’m okay with it. While in Korea, I’ve also learned that my body type is one which will bloat up immediately after I eat… so I don’t feel so bad about having a food baby, because there isn’t really anything I can do to get rid of it. I used to have a lot of issues with the way my body looked, mainly because a lot of my friends are stick skinny while I’m curvier than them.

And although I wish I could go back to my flat stomach, I really don’t have the time or effort to work out enough to get myself back to that flat state.. yes, I know that if I really wanted to do it then I would be able to make time for it. But I’m ok with being the way I am right now too.

So in short this blog post was pretty pointless, but now I’ve unloaded how I feel about my body. Being in Korea has changed my outlook on my body for the better, and I hope I’ll keep thinking this way for a long time.