Welcome

Page

Video Tour

Purpose and Objective

Describing University of British Columbia’s Masters of Education Technology program to others started out all IPads and Twitter and has morphed over the span of nine distinct courses into a philosophical investigation of pedagogy, educational research, and strangely enough- Artificial Intelligence. Reaching the end of the program I now feel better informed to discuss the program content wise, but find that I lack the time in most casual conversations to really get to the crux of it. Creating a portfolio that reflects on my journey through the MET program has helped me synthesize all I have experienced into, an easy to relay narrative.

Developing a portfolio serves several purposes; of course it meets the requirements of both the University of British Columbia and  the Teacher Qualification Service, these being my main audiences. The TQS requires the portfolio as a capstone project demonstrating a breadth of study acceptable to move to a category six for the teacher salary grid. But in order to create a portfolio that will of use to me and my colleagues I will need to focus on making it engaging, accessible, and usable.

Looking at the ETEC program as a whole and upon reflection here for this portfoilo I can see how  Baviskar, Hartle, and Whitney’s (2009) first three tenets of constructivism: eliciting prior knowledge, creating cognitive dissonance, providing feedback when students apply their knowledge, have played out. Looking at the e-portfolio from the same theoretical perspective I can see it fulfills the fourth tenet; allowing reflections on my learning (p. 541-550).

Audience

My main audience is the University of British Columbia and Teacher Qualification Service. My secondary audience are my friends, family, colleagues, prospective students, new students, current students, and alumni.

Organizing Competencies

I wanted a straightforward, content focused design. In order to achieve that result I organized my e-portfolio using  the competencies from the rubric. By organizing the artifacts by the competencies they illustrate I was able to streamline and simplify the process. I wanted the artefacts to stand on their own to illustrate the competency. I felt that keeping the focus on my artefacts rather than an overarching theme would be less distracting and emphasize my growth and reflection throughout the e-portfolio.

Reflective in the face of theory and research

The Learner has demonstrated the ability to be Meta-cognitively reflective in the face of theory and research.

Learning in context

The learner demonstrates transformative learning in context.

Linking research and theory to practice

The learner demonstrates the ability to critically think about research and theory and link it to practice.

Working in diverse learning communities

The learner has demonstrated the ability to work in diverse learning communities.

Expertise with digital tools

The learner demonstrated ability to use a vast array of digital tools and publish professional quality work.

See the rubric for more details on these competencies

Rubric