Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Linking Past and Present

September 10th, 2012 · 3 Comments

'A Gest of Robin Hood'

This passage from Robin Hood was first printed somewhere between 1510 to 1515. The woodcut itself shows the first likeness of Robin Hood. Now, over five hundred years later, the character of Robin Hood has appeared in various texts, television shows, films and games. Digital media has the potential to both preserve and evolve stories. Although most children would not have read the original text of Robin Hood, they will be familiar with the character through his appearance in the 1973 Disney film Robin Hood which has been aired on television numerous times.

Digital media and other new mediums have the ability to link past and present and to make teaching about the past that much more relevant to young students. It is my hope that I learn new strategies and methods of integrating new media into my lesson plans through my time in the LLED 368 “Multiliteracies in English Language Arts Classrooms” course.

Tags: Introductions

3 responses so far ↓

• Dana Inouye // Sep 10th 2012 at 9:59 pm

Nice. I like the idea of preserving and evolving… linking past and present. I share your aspirations for the course! You’re already steps ahead of me though. I still can’t figure out how to upload the image to share…

• TMD // Sep 12th 2012 at 3:54 pm

I like this idea of preserving and evolving as well. Consider the case of Early English Books Online (EEBO). It is a digital archive of thousands of texts — early modern ephemera, etc — that fell out of circulation over the centuries. This archive has given new life to very old texts and has evolved an entire new field of research in English literary studies.

• ritashahi // Sep 12th 2012 at 6:41 pm

Speaking of evolving, it’s also very entertaining to find what we were in awe of in the past, such as cartoons and animated picture, has now evolved into 3D imaging that is available in our own TVs in our very own homes! Children can not only familiarizes themselves with the classic heroes of their parents’ time, but experience them in near life form. That image of Robin Hood is definitely not what would have captured my attention as a child, by the way.