Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Burning Man Tree

September 12th, 2012 · 2 Comments

Burning Man 2011

I haven’t had a chance to be in class yet so bear with me if my post is not responding in the correct tone!

I thought about my own multiliteracy, or what I think of when I think of ‘multiliteracy’ and what remained in the forefront of my thought was the idea of the dichotomy between nature and technology. Personally I fully embrace social media, modern technologies, and the evolution of the computer into our lives as human beings; one of the reasons being that I can pinpoint the exact day that I realized that technology had become an important adaptation into my family’s life. I decided to search images from the annual arts festival Burning Man. I have never been but would very much like to in the near future. What I know of burning man is that it is about creating art and respecting the space hosting the event. Artists from all over the country, continent, and I’m sure world come together in a communal space of active artistry and respect. At the end of the festival everyone comes together to burn a large statue of a character man to symbolize the end of another year. Following this the desert is restored to it’s natural place and everyone returns to their lives.

This photo in particular makes me consider this juxtaposition and interconnectivity of nature and technology, or simply human nature. We as evolving beings create and develop within the world. I believe this photo is that of a tree, of creation, music, community and so many other things. Also the knowledge that it no longer exists makes me consider the fleeting life of our own nature and existence. I hope we can discuss the role that technology plays within our roles as educators and how it can be used as an extension of ourselves. I wonder how can we teach young minds to adapt these technologies for good rather than evil…

Tags: Introductions

2 responses so far ↓

• mdry // Sep 12th 2012 at 6:45 pm

I am also intrigued by the technology-nature juxtaposition. I think we are making a huge leap from thoughts of technology vs. nature to accepting the interconnectivity of the two.

Also, I love your comment on the transience of existence. Is it not fascinating how there are so many things about both nature and technology that are fleeting whilst so many other aspects are so permanent? Food for thought, eh?

• dinouye // Sep 12th 2012 at 6:50 pm

I love the idea of exploring conversations surrounding the synthesis and relationship of nature and technology. Very interesting and intriguing…