Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Teaching Shakespeare with Graphic Novels

September 26th, 2012 · No Comments

Hello All,

I want to provide you with a link to the Graphic Novel I brought to share with the class today. I believe it to be a very benificial resource for educators.

These graphic novels, based on Shakespearean plays, are based on the No Fear Shakespeare series which has the original text juxtaposed with modern, colloquial English (parallel texts). This popular series has now expanded to include the Graphic Novel versions (written ONLY in modern English, without accompanying Shakespearean, or parallel text format.)

Much like the tantalizing version of Romeo and Juliet introduced to us this evening during Kiran’s presentation, this text is an appealing and accessible way to introduce a widely taught, but often difficult to connect with, text.

Of course, there are pros and cons to teaching texts without their original language. Although we would not be using this version to teach Shakespeare’s language, the plot still unfolds the same as the original, with the action occurring in the same Acts and Scenes, so there is still “authenticity” to reading this modernized text. (And let’s remember: people in Shakespeare’s day weren’t reading his plays; they were watching them!)

If the students read this text, or are introduced to the play through this format, then educators can focus on the concepts in the play, significance of Shakespeare, teaching literary devices, etc. But first we *have to get the students committed to the text*; these graphic novels are an exciting way to do this.

I wanted to share this series of Graphics with you because we all know that Shakespeare can be challenging to read (not to mention teach!) so I feel like any resource that makes his works more engaging and accessible should be shared.

Thanks!
Maya

Tags: Visual Literacy

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.