Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

I must confess…

October 10th, 2012 · No Comments

One of my projects last summer was to only read books and watch films/television that were recommended to me by kids/teens who visit me at work. I decided to go to the “experts” to inform my reading and viewing for pleasure needs over the summer season. I wasn’t disappointed.

There is one young woman (15) who is constantly giving me list of things “[I’ve] got to read!” And she checks up on me, so I have to follow through! She asked me to read her the first book in her favourite Young Adult series, Pretty Little Liars. (Sara Shepard).

I was super judgemental and knowing the covers well (very similar to the Gossip Girl series) I decided to “cheat” and sign out the DVD instead of any books in the series. I took home the 6 discs telling myself I would force my way through the first episode (while I folded some laundry) so I could speak to the young woman about the characters, but I am embarrassed to say I watched the entire season in a week. I stayed up way past my bedtime to get through that first season and put my name on the wait-list for the not yet available second season.

I was hooked.

My point in using this as an example of print to television/film adaptations, is that its an efficient way to stay “on trend” with what youth are reading. I make sure to watch all of the DVD’s of books that are popular that I don’t have the time (or inclination) to read. I can watch a few of the Harry Potter/Twilight films and be able to discuss these series with young people. In our busy lives, I find this to be a useful way to keep up with popular culture in the lives of young adults.

Tags: Visual Literacy

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.