Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

How do we teach students to effectively analyze graphic novels in class?

July 5th, 2013 · 3 Comments

I do believe that using graphic novels in a class is a good idea. After all, as the Frey and Fisher article shows us, there may be great benefits! I think students are inherently comfortable with the genre of graphic novels because many have grown up with some comics (note: this doesn’t mean they necessarily have the tools to close- read and analyze them), but I do believe that since they are an element of the last few generations, there is something inherently ‘youthful’ and pop culture about graphic novels. They allow students to access similar themes that one can find in a novel, but they include a visual which adds a whole new dimension to meaning-making.  What I find is the most pertinent question is: how does one find meaning at the intersection of text and image? To me, finding meaning of a text would be knowing the mood and tone, recognizing themes, interpreting the text in my own way, think of the text in a philosophical way, and being able to talk about/write about stories with similar themes. I do believe that graphic novels facilitate in finding this type of meaning in a text simply because of the visuals.

My major question is how can a teacher enable students to effectively read graphic novels. Essentially, what are the tools one can give students to be able t analyze the stories in effective way- to further find the ‘real’ meaning in them. Do we teach them about symbolism and how its represented? Do we talk about why certain panels are larger than others and why the gutter is a certain size? Personally, I have not taught a graphic novel yet. I understand their immense value, but I am left wondering how to best approach in a real classroom context.

Tags: graphic novels

3 responses so far ↓

• zlatinar // Jul 5th 2013 at 1:07 am

This is by Zlatina Radomirova and is my first post in this blog

• TMD // Jul 5th 2013 at 9:37 am

Hi Tina,

Thanks for this useful question — I hope to address it today in class by introducing one approach and look forward to your feedback.

Best,

Teresa

• zlatinar // Jul 7th 2013 at 11:54 pm

Thank you, Teresa! Great discussion on Friday