Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Gaming in the Classroom

July 15th, 2013 · 5 Comments

Blog Post #2

The Gee article “Good Video Games and Good Learning” presents the value of video games in a new light.  Gee explains that the value of video games lies not in the games themselves, in their potential for educational application, or in their explicit educational content.  Instead, the value of video games to education is how we as teachers can apply game-like qualities to enrich the classroom.

Gee suggests that “good” games are constructed based on 16 different principles.  These principles are included as follows: identity, interaction, production, risk taking, customization, agency, well-ordered problems, challenge and consolidation, “just in time” and “on demand” instructions, situated meanings, a pleasantly frustrating tone, encouragement of systemic thinking and exploration, smart tools and distributed knowledge, the cross-functionality of teams, and a focus on performance before competence.

Of these principles I am most interested in the concept of encouraging students to take risks and focus their efforts on performance before competence.  Gee writes that “school too often allows much less space for risk, exploration, and failure” (35).  The format of video games allows students to explore that which they know and apply it immediately in a relevant context.  Students are focusing on the process and their performance in the game, and how to use what they have learned while playing the game to further explore and eventually succeed.  Failure then, is a necessary and valuable part of the process, and the process requires an understanding of the value of failure to gaining competency.  For students this lessens the fear of risk-taking, and as a consequence, lessens their fear of failure.

The second of these principles that I find intriguing is the idea of customization.  Gee writes, “Players can usually, in one way or another, customize a game to fit their learning and playing styles. Games often have different difficulty levels, and many good games allow players to solve problems in different ways… Customized curricula in school should not just be about self-pacing, but about real intersections between the curriculum and the learner’s interests, desires, and styles” (35).  This is not to say that students have to completely select their own content, and the public school system is constructed completely of individualized learning plans.  But instead, students have a say in their own learning process while exploring important aspects of the curriculum.  In addition, students should be able to voice their concerns regarding whether or not they feel they are able to effectively explore the curriculum and content utilizing their own learning styles.

Third, I am interested in the concept that Gee presents regarding “just in time” and “on demand” instructions.  According to the article, “People are quite poor at dealing with lots of words out of context; that is why textbooks are so inefficient” (36).  In contrast, video games provide instructions or relevant information exactly when players require it.  The article explains that people learn best when they can relate and apply new information in an experiential context.  Scaffolding of information is highly effective in this way, as it is provided only in relevant contexts.  Students then, are not over-loaded by too much frontloading, and instead are able to apply relevant information as they are given it; thus strengthening their connection to the material.

Finally, as an added point, I think it would be beneficial if we extended this to utilize cross-disciplinary subject matter.  The recommended article by de Castell “Digital Games for Education: When Meanings Play,” suggests that examining games such as Contagion, which simultaneously explore technology, biology, medical, human and social science, not only encourages interdisciplinary lessons, but also fosters collaboration between educators across subject areas.

My group and I are curious about how the elements presented in Gee’s article can and/or have been applied into modern classrooms.  Furthermore, we are curious about the following questions:

1. What kind of effects do video games have on our students?
  2. What kind of effects do video games have on the 21st Century classroom?
  3. In your teaching experience, have you been able to bring gaming technology or principles into your classrooms?
  4. Would it be beneficial for students to have as much input into their own learning, as they do in the context of a video game?  Are there any repercussions?

Works Cited:

de Castell, S., Jenson, J., & Taylor, N.  (2007).  Digital Games for education: When Meanings Play.  Situated Play, DiGRA Conference, Tokyo, Japan.  590-599.

Gee, J.  (2005).  “Good Video Games And Good Learning.”  Phi Kappa Phi Forum, 85.2, 33-37.

By: Christa Wolbers

Tags: gaming

5 responses so far ↓

• annievandergaag // Jul 15th 2013 at 10:20 pm

After reading this article, I am thoroughly intrigued in the ideas presented in Gee’s article, “Good Video Games and Good Learning.” When I started reading, I must admit, I laughed at the first few points when Gee brings biology and Plato into the conversation on video games. I started writing down points that Gee was making so I could one by one defy each statement Gee makes. I know this is an awful way to start looking at an article, but to me, I have always seen and understood computer games as time consuming, boring, and the leading cause of headaches (so cynical), and should not be equated with biology, and especially not with Plato.
    However, at the end of this article I found myself wondering if there is a way that I could actually use video games in the classroom. Furthermore, I thought that Gee’s qualifying point in which it is explained that video games don’t need to be played, but the things that video games teach should be incorporated into schools, makes total sense. I still can’t imagine myself taking the time to play a game like World of Warcraft or Elder Scrolls III, I can see myself trying to incorporate the things that these video games teach, namely cross-functional teamwork and production. If it takes a video game to do so, I guess so be it.
    My only question still lingering is that, while all of the points that Gee makes seem valid, I wonder if students are actually making the connections from the video games to the real world. Do video games actually foster all of the things that Gee says they do in the real world, or is it linked only to the virtual world? If they are linked only to the virtual world, how can we as teachers who want to use video games link the games to the real world in a meaningful way? Do video games simply make it meaningful?
    These are only a few questions I have after reading the article.
    Skimming de Castell, S., Jenson, J., & Taylor, N.’s Digital Games for education: When Meanings Play article brought forth some similar questions. These researchers have studied a game whose content, namely the avian flu, is taught throughout play. I wonder if students will actually relate the futuristic avian flu in Pyramidea to the passing of disease in the world today.
    I do, however, applaud them for their attempt at making the game more gender neutral, as many might argue that video games are driven more toward male players with male characters, while the women play a more passive role and are often dressed up in evocative clothing, through which large breasts are popping.
    I guess through all of this, I wonder if it is an effective way of approaching the concerns Gee raises. I will be the first to admit that I am a cynic regarding the subject, and I hope that your presentation tomorrow will convince me otherwise!

• zlatinar // Jul 16th 2013 at 12:43 am

When it comes to your question of “are students actually making the connections from the video games to the real world”, I read a great article that may have some answers. It’s called “Gotta Catch ’em all: Structure, Agency and Pedagogy in Children’s Media” by Buckingham and Sefton-Green. It talks about how games in general really help students to learn the process of learning itself; they are in effect learning to learn. The authors use the example of Pokémon and its many benefits in terms of how children learn valuable skills such as categorizing knowledge, problem-solving, paying close attention to detail, remembering information, making and maintaining teams, among many others. These are important skills that students need in order to be successful in our current school system. Although the reading was mainly focused on how young younger children learn to learn through Pokémon, perhaps a similar argument can be applied to games for youth and adults. Gee lists many of the learning principles that come from youth and adult games- although she makes a similar case for her 6 year old son playing Pajama Sam- such as system-thinking, risk-taking and team-making (34-37). All these principles enhance student learning, which will help students in school. Yes, I agree with Gee that we should focus on learning in schools being more game-like. However, I do believe that those learning principles she outlines are actively being used in schools and are extremely needed by students. We are already seeing the many benefits to ‘good’ video games as learning tools because students are better able to meet the demands of what learning entails in schools. This can be just the beginning of an answer your question: ” Do video games actually foster all of the things that Gee says they do in the real world, or is it linked only to the virtual world?”. It is learning, it’s just accomplished in a way that is fun and makes time go by super fast!
    Disclaimer: That being said, I am not an avid gamer myself. I was never brought up with video games in the household and the only games I would usually end up playing are solitaire or a simple Simpson’s computer game that an uncle was kind enough to install for me (sad or what? haha). Ocasionally, I would play some video games t friends’ houses. I did have a similar scepticism to you when encountering these articles. However, when I look back at some of the more complicated games I briefly played as a child- I really enjoyed them! They got me to think quickly, think spatially, and work with a team.

-Zlatina Radomirova (Post #3)

• zlatinar // Jul 16th 2013 at 1:00 am

^ works cited in the above post:

Buckingham, David, & Sefton-Green, Julian. (2003). Gotta catch ‘em all: Structure, agency and pedagogy in children’s media culture. Media, Culture & Society, 25(3), 379-400.

Gee, J. (2005). “Good Video Games And Good Learning.” Phi Kappa Phi Forum, 85(2), 33-37.

-Zlatina Radomirova

• lisaubc // Jul 16th 2013 at 11:17 pm

The Gee article both motivated and entertained me. Some of the 16 principles of learning were intriguing and in an ideal (or virtual) classroom they would be amazing to see implemented. I cannot deny that some of the concepts of gaming certainly could relate to differentiated learning, but one of the things that the sceptic in me noticed was absent from the article was the notion of cheats. Many of the games that are mentioned and leveled are easily solved by going onto the internet and typing in cheats for whatever game. Solutions that others have painstakingly experienced are readily available. This is a bit of a simplification, but in a classroom the concept of cheating is not acceptable but in the gaming world it is. I am sure ardent gamers will deny having used these but…….
    Also, having learned about the Zone of Proximal Development and frustration levels, I think the concept discussed about agency and well ordered problems (Gee, 36) is certainly relevant to the classroom. Being able to problem solve and apply critical thinking skills are life skills especially if the actions undertaken also consider the potential consequences. However, in a classroom the notion of do-over or another life does not necessarily exist. My Inquiry question related to allowing rewrites and if the concept of failing makes students try to find another way to succeed then great, but if failure is dismissed as unimportant because there is a safety net of having a rewrite then it is a detrimental practice.
    I try to keep an open mind about the games my 13 year old plays and admit that I was quite intrigued and determined to beat Plague once I had seen it however, I did notice a detachment for the concept of deliberately trying to wipe out the entire population, even if it was amusing to name our virus Math and watch Math destroy humanity. On the plus side, there are teachable moments in these games and they are learning something about how the immune system works.
    I certainly agree that a lack of engagement with the curriculum is a result of no connection to the material and that a sense of participation in the selection or relevance would certainly help to inspire more engagement. In terms of applying the principles of gaming in a classroom, I think it is possible. In terms of production (Gee, 35) if a player helps to write the world they are in, then by extension, a student should be able to help contribute to the classroom world. In an English class this could start with individual novel studies and allowing students to choose the type of novels they want to study, the type of projects they produce and even more ownership over assessment. I am not advocating that we let the proverbial lunatics run the asylum, but give them more ownership and hope that they have a more vested interest in learning.
    I am still think that the extremely violent and graphic games are detrimental to learning and contribute to behaviour issues. Based on disruptions to sleep patterns and aggressive tendancies (yes, I am aware that culturally these behaviours have been attributed to listening to heavy metal music and so on) but I noticed it on my practicum that on Monday mornings some of the students who had been playing Call of Duty all weekend were tired and temperamental. I wasn’t interested in how many times they had prestiged over the weekend, but whether they had finished their homework!
    I know my sons are looking forward to having someone convince me that they should spend more time gaming and less time studying……
    Lisa blog post #2
    Work cited
    Gee, J. (2005). “Good Video Games and Good Learning.” Phi Kappa Phi Forum, 85,(2), 33-37.

• smoreno // Jul 17th 2013 at 11:40 am

“Is Minecraft the Ultimate Educational Tool?”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0BN5AWOe8&list=PLtHP6qx8VF7c0-JLPGLoIOl9LEpXmsBi7&index=5

Here’s a good YouTube Video explaining how we can incorporate video games into the education system: starting with Minecraft.