Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Media Project 2 – Song of “The Arrival

July 17th, 2014 · 1 Comment

LLED 368 Media Project 2

-Rachel, Kelly, Jenny K.

Tags: Media Project II

1 response so far ↓

• TMD // Jul 24th 2014 at 10:01 am

Dear Rachel, Jenny and Kelly,

Thanks so much for this outstanding adaptation of _The Arrival_. In spite of your reservations about the sound editing component of the work, I think the project is highly successful. This is the sort of assignment that would be highly successful in ELL classrooms — indeed, in any classroom.

You worry that it would be too complex, and yet I’m not certain this is the case. In the case of ELL students, I could see you may wish to ask them to intersperse songs in English with songs in their first language, perhaps specifying a minimum number of songs (and a minimum number of English songs if English learning is a focus). To make the assignment more manageable, you might try giving them the edited video you’ve produced and asking them to produce the soundtrack only. It would certainly be interesting to compare the soundtracks produced for the same video across multiple groups.

Again, thanks for your efforts in producing this video, as well as for your thoughtful comments on the process.

Best regards,

Teresa