Why is everyone taking it up the arse? – Money to burn by Piglia

No genuinely why is everyone, man or woman taking it up the ass. Money to Burn by Piglia is a book that I honestly did not like until they got to the shoot out/ when they were stuck in flat number 9. Then the book became clear to me about what it was attempting to do. Piglia demonstrates through this novel the gray moral area of crime. I believe this concept is one that should be discussed more. In society we tend to see things as good and evil. But I believe things arent fully like that (can you tell im a sociologist that loves crime and deviance).

What caught my attention was when the money was burnt and everyone’s reaction to such. To everyone this meant that all the blood shed was for no reason but blood lust. To people money is everything, and to see such a big amount burnt caused an outrage to civilians. I see it as a rebellion of the men, basically saying “fuck you” to everyone. But it’s interesting because what is money besides the value that we put on it. Yet again as a sociologist, I am eating this up.

Now I don’t agree with what the men do, but I can understand to some degree. I feel like all the men involved in the gang seem to have very tragic past lives, filled with violence, especially in some cases, sexual assault. I believe that Piglia wants us as the reader to not fully agree with the men committing crimes but also still think “Maybe they have the right to be fucking shit up”. Yet again what are people besides the experiences they have.

Justice is another interesting theme that is brought up. The police repeat throughout the book, “if you come out we will ensure you are subject to a fair trial” (im just paraphrasing). I thought that point was so interesting because in my head I was thinking that theyre gonna end up in jail anyways. Also what constitutes a “fair trial”, we already know that they’re guilty.

I will say I cannot say much with full confidence. Like most people are saying in their own blog posts, I cannot fully grasp Piglia due to his writing style. But I can say that I was so sad when it came to “the kids” death. Something about that scene ignited so much emotion in me that was not previously there.  I personally yet again did not like the book as I am a fan of what we have been reading thus far, but I’m sure that those who hate the repetitiveness are ecstatic.

My question for you today is which “side” are you on? Do you think there is a clear side to be on?

3 thoughts on “Why is everyone taking it up the arse? – Money to burn by Piglia

1. Hi there. I liked your blog a lot! I liked that you brought up justice because I also thought the relationship between the police and the group was complex. I find it hard to choose a side because I personally don’t agree with the violence and drug use but I also understand that maybe there is a deeper message to it all.

2. Maxene, love that you led with your understanding of the “gray moral area of crime,” here here for the sociologists. I thought it was super interesting that you brought up justice since the narrative hints at corruption within the government and they constantly reinforce that they can’t offer them anything other than the fair trial.

Thanks for your comment!
    – Tesi

3. “Yet again, as a sociologist, I am eating this up.” perfectly put. I am no sociologist, but I have to say I always love a story that makes you think about the structures and systems of society, which I think this book did well.