Tsunami Account

This will also be posted on Rock Blog

From Andrew Alden’s Geology about.com site comes a link to a personal account of the tsunami by Chris Chapman, scientific advisor at Schlumberger Cambridge Research.

The Asian Tsunami in Sri Lanka: A Personal Experience

When I read this, my geologist and educators lives come together…

It’s fascinating to read how a professional geologist viewed the series of events that comprise the tsunami — I was again struck by the fact the “tsunami” was not a singular event. The earth’s bell was rung. What happens as a bell tone rings out? The sound bounces all over the place and slowly fades way. That comes through in his description.

The animations at the bottom of the page are very good as well.. I’ll need to look at those for my next teaching experience…

I also think of “reflection” (the e-portfolio side of my brain) when I read his account. He describes the event, but also reflects on the experience – integrating his personal and professional lives in a compelling way.

It’s really interesting to see how the scientist “lens”/”viewpoint” comes through in this account. Our disciplines do affect how we see the world…

My husband (also a geologist) and I have more than once wondered how we would have reacted had we noticed the odd behaviour of the oceans, or felt the original quake…

He claims that I would have had the laptop with me on the beach and would have checked my RSS feeds for an earthquake. I’m not sure of I am being complimented or insulted with that one… Am I really THAT geeky? Sigh.. don’t answer that…

I only hope that we would have reacted as courageously as Dr. Graham and his wife did….

BTW… the technical/physics account is available on the EOS site, http://www.agu.org/eos_elec/000929e1.html.

Thanks for the excellent link, Andrew!

This entry was posted in Electronic Portfolios, Geology Sites. Bookmark the permalink.