Links to Practice

I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.” Booker T. Washington

Through my inquiry project I have found that there are two valuable strategies that I can do as a Home Economics teacher to help them develop confidence, resilience and a growth mindset.

Reflection and Self Assessment:

“Resilience is not a genetic trait. It is derived from the ways children learn to think and act when they are faced with obstacles, large and small.” (Price-Mitchell, 2015). Through reflection practice and modeling I plan to teach resilience to my students. “Reflective Practice calls for us to be mindful of our everyday life, our thoughts, our actions, our interrelationships with others and nature” (Vaines, 1997). Students can use this reflective practice to examine the artifacts that they create in Home Economics, be it a pancake or a pencil case. Both artifacts are amazing things and should be truly appreciated.  In my Foods and Nutrition class students will complete a reflection after each lab. I will ask them questions that will “focuses on sources of personal strength” (Price-Mitchell, 2015). For example, after a difficult lab I could ask students to write about a group member who really helped the whole team. I am also planning on doing a large group project and throughout students will be reflecting on the group project how working in a group makes them feel and if there was conflict how they will change their approach to make things go better next time.

In my Textile 8 class I plan on having students do self-assessment. This assessment will demonstrate to them that mistakes happen, no one and nothing is perfect and with work they can improve. I will be asking my students to complete a self-assessment after each sample they complete. Each sample will not be graded they will just receive a complete or incomplete mark. I want my students to use the experience assessing their work, making note of how they can improve and apply that to their final project.

In their reflections and self-assessments as well as during class time, I will encourage them to use positive language that promotes a growth mindset and resiliency.

I just can’t sew -> I am going to keep practicing this sewing technique

He is so good at cooking. I will never be that good. ->  I am going to figure out how he does it so I can try too.

It’s good enough -> Is it really my best work.

Classroom Culture:

Establishing an encouraging and supportive classroom culture will be a very important part of helping students develop confidence, resilience and a growth mindset. Students won’t want to take risks or make mistakes if they don’t feel comfortable with their classmates and their teacher. One reason that Home Economics is an ideal place for students to develop these skills is because students are already semi familiar with the material, as it is part of their everyday life, and because it is an elective class students see it as a fun place. I hope to ensure that students understand that mistakes are an “expected and honored part of learning” (Price-Mitchell, 2015).

During my practicum I plan on getting students to create a classroom code. This group activity will not only set up ‘rules’ for the classroom but the activity itself will set the tone of collaboration, respect and understanding.   In my Foods and Nutrition class students will be put into groups and will work on a project together. They will choose a recipe and create a blog post or video to teach the class how the make the item. Throughout this activity they are being given the choice of what they want to make, given the power of teaching the class and are working in a group so the fear of failure is reduced.

Showing the students I care:

Having supportive teachers was one of the things that helped me the most to develop a growth mindset. I plan on showing my students I care by being available outside of class time for them to use the textiles room. I will also ask them about their lives outside of my classroom, what other classes they are in, what are their hobbies.

Price-Mitchell, M. (2015, July 13). Resilience: The capacity to

rebuild and grow from adversity.Psychology Today. Retrieved

from:https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-moment-

youth/201507/resilience-the-capacity-rebuild-and-grow-adversity

Vaines, E. (1997). Re-visiting reflective practice, in E. Vaines, D. Badir &

D. Kieren (Eds.), People and Practice: International Issues for

Home Economists, 5(3).

Posted in

Permalink

• No categories