Why does it matter?

When I was younger I was scared of taking risks, I was afraid to fail, it wasn’t until I took a sewing class that I realized mistakes are a part of learning that I began to value mistakes and be ok with them. In an article on Psychology Today Grey discusses the decline in student’s resilience. They found that “Students are afraid to fail; they do not take risks; they need to be certain about things” (Grey, 2015). Grey claims that the reason these students are not resilient is because they have not had the opportunity to “experience failure and realize they can survive it” (Grey, 2015). If students are able to believe in themselves (confidence) through developing a growth mindset and resilience, then they will be better prepared to face and solve problems in other classes and their lives.

To see how I plan on encouraging these skills in my classroom continue to the links to practice section.

Grey, P. (2015, September 22). Declining student resilience: A serious problem for colleges. Psychology Today. Retrieved from: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201509/declining-student-resilience-serious-problem-colleges

Posted in

Permalink

• No categories