Why I’m attending the Arts Career Expo.

January 20th, 2011 § 1 comment

I don’t know about you guys, but when I was little, I went through “phases” of career aspirations; one year I wanted to be this, then this, then do this again. It all depended on my current obsession e.g. astronomy, theatre, etc. (all of which I’m still obsessed with, ha).

See below:

Really little-first grade: Pediatrician (insert tumblr lolface here)
Second grade-third grade: Astronaut
Fourth grade: Archaeologist
Fifth-sixth grade: Editor-in-chief of a fashion magazine
Seventh-eighth grade: Broadway performer
Ninth grade: Editor-in-chief of a nerdy magazine
Tenth grade: Radiologist (see lolface above), then website designer, then diplomat (a very fun year- I won a website design contest in SFU, and attended my first MUN)
Eleventh-twelfth grade: Foreign Services Officer

So I start as a First Year here in UBC, with aspirations of being a hotshot diplomat, with Europe being my geographic specialty.

While being determined and having a clear goal in mind is a good thing, being in a place like UBC makes it essential to keep one’s mind open. There are so many choices of things to do, and now I find myself like a little kid again. I am second-guessing my ambitious plan of a double PoliSci + IR major (well, there’s only self-esteem issues associated with that, but that’s for another entry). I find myself interested in fields such as the Science Studies Minor and European Studies. And most importantly, the idea of law school is slowly but surely becoming a goal in my mind instead of a mere possibility.

At the moment, law school is embedding itself as my future aspiration. I recently became a volunteer for Access Pro Bono as a Clinic Assistant, and sitting in the courthouse downtown I think to myself that I can like being around places like that, and especially being a volunteer lawyer, giving advice to someone who wouldn’t normally have the resources to do so. Law and justice and badass business wear- what’s not to like?

Shallow stuff aside, though, I know I need more useful information than the stereotype to decide if this is right for me. How do I go about doing this? WELL. I’m signing up for the Arts Career Expo! They have a panel of lawyers, I don’t object to careers in law, which is exactly what I’ve been needing. I’m also attending the Networking panel that Krystal is attending. I know networking has always been pressed by UBC as a reallllllllyyyyyyyyyy important skill, so I couldn’t pass the chance.

If you’re reading this, do consider coming! It’s next week, on Thursday, Jan. 27, in the evening. There’s only nothing but useful info to learn, plus schmoozing with alumni (I might actually make a networking card for this. We’ll see…) and free food. :) I know Arts and the degree that comes with it has that stigma of being useless (for those who can’t be convinced otherwise, there’s a panel called Why I Hire BAs that’d be worth checking out), but the event, I’m sure will prove us otherwise.

More info under these links:
Arts Career Expo main site Twitter Facebook

I hope to see you there! I’ll be the one with frizzy short hair with the tendency to look frustratingly at her bangs. :)

Ever the enthusiast,
Jennine

§ One Response to Why I’m attending the Arts Career Expo.

• Tyler says:

I’m coming too :D lol

My career goals have been artist, archaeologist, marine biologist, entomologist, biologist, video game designer, virologist, and professor :)