Adam Larsen | Assignment 4 | Above, At & Below

FIRST DRAWING | X-RAY

In assignment 4 I explored the Nest on UBC Campus. I first walked up and down through the levels to get a sense of how each level interacted with the suspended lecture hall. I then drew which levels that the lecture hall intersected with via a section drawing to help aid me with my larger drawing using the “expand-the-box” method

SECOND DRAWING | SHADOWS, PANORAMICS

Up on the roof of the nest I mapped sunlight, reflections, and skylines. I tried to reduce the sunlight pattern, as well as the panoramic view, down to simple lines and blocks. The sunlight shined through the arcade to make a checkered effect on the floor. The panoramic view had countless spires which were broken up by large buildings in the distance. 

THIRD DRAWING | CIRCULATION, BASEMENTS, ROOTS

Down on the ground in front of the nest I mapped the flow of people. Larger arrows indicate larger swarms of students. I then mapped how the basement level of the nest connected to the life building. Finally I created a cross section through the tree covered hill that the nest intersects, giving special attention to how the root systems interacted with The Pit Bar underneath it.