5: Using Our Hands – Alwyn Rutherford

BLINDfolded DRAWING: OUTSIDE OF CLASS

I put on a blindfold and held out my hand to be given a mystery object. Then, with the blindfold still on, I felt the object with one hand while drawing in my sketchbook with the other hand.

For all of these drawings, I had no idea what the objects were before they were placed in my hand. I had no previous experience with the first two objects, so they were completely new to me. The third object I have seen before, but I never examined it or looked very closely until now.

Object #1 was a metal screw for ice climbing. The upper two images were drawn by touch only while blindfolded, followed by a regular drawing and a photo of the object.

Object #2 was a rope pulley that is used in mountaineering. The upper image was drawn by touch only while blindfolded, followed by a set of regular drawings, and photos of the object.

Object #3 was the front part of a ski binding. The upper image was drawn by touch only while blindfolded, followed by regular drawings, and photos of the object.

BLINDfolded DRAWING: IN CLASS

Blindfolded drawings of an object selected at random from a box of mystery objects. Completed in class.

OBJECT REVEAL: IN CLASS