Assignment 8 – Tuning In & Windplay | Anna Finn

At home exercise

Part 1 – Tuning In

For this exercise I was sitting at the gate in the Vancouver Airport waiting for a flight. I wasn’t intending to do the exercise at this time but as I was waiting for my flight I noticed the sound of birds chirping. I looked up to see if I could find the sound source, expecting to see one or two birds who somehow made their way inside the building, but couldn’t see anything. The noise continued and I never did see any birds, which brought me to the conclusion that the chirping was artificial and being played over a speaker. This was intriguing as I assume there is a psychological affect as the sounds are played as a kind of “white noise” to make waiting more pleasant for people. This is when I decided to draw a sound map of the different noises going on around me. I used colours and paint brush styles to depict the impression of the different sounds I was hearing, while intensity of colour marks how loud or soft the sound was.

Sound mapping at Vancouver Airport
Sound impressions overlay on photograph of Vancouver Airport

Part 2 – Windplay

For the windplay assignment, I made a Japanese-style wind chime. A piece of paper is tied to a washer, which hangs inside a glass jar. When the paper blows in the wind. the washer hits off the jar and makes a clinking noise. I imagine chimes of different jar sizes making higher or lower pitched sounds depending on the size and intensity of the wind

Japanese-style wind chimes of different sizes and materials