Self-Assessment Reflection

In this blog entry, I will reflect on my learning process and work over the past term in English 301, as well as explore how my skills and strengths support my future goals. As this is an all-encompassing reflection, it will be quite broad. To see more specific reflections on various aspects of communication and writing, see this index of my reflections throughout the course. See also this post for a reflection on the design process for this Web Folio.

Learning Process

I have discovered that I am very much an applied learner, in two ways. First, I learn best by applying concepts to create something tangible – whether that is a report employing certain writing techniques and best practices, or a map employing technical features I’ve recently learned. Second, I learn best by forming connections to other teachings, courses, extracurricular work, and current events. For example, in this course, I reflected deeply on the ‘Writing with YOU’ principles and business communication principles by connecting it with what I have learned in Geography about the need to critically assess the biases and perspectives of the author. I applied this by making sure that I do not represent as universal what is merely my own opinion, and that I recognize sources errors and biases whenever possible throughout my assignments. Realizing that I learn best by forming meaningful connections, I connected the topic of my Final Report (on Improving UBC’s Food Sustainability Commitments) to my extracurricular work and interests. Building on my experience with advocating for climate action at UBC, I took on my most challenging project yet, which I was able to capture in a unique way through creating a Formal Report.

Strengths and Weaknesses in Assignments

Looking through my assignments this term, I have identified three strengths in my work: being creative and expressive within the restrictions of the assignment form, critically analyzing myself at multiple stages, and making efforts to select interesting topics. These strengths have helped me to stay engaged in the course. As this was my first time taking an online course, I was concerned that I would find it hard to stay engaged throughout the term without the benefit of interacting with the class in person. However, spending some extra time on choosing assignment topics I felt were truly interesting, and to push myself to be creative even if the assignment form didn’t always encourage it (such as a memo, or email). My main weaknesses are organizing my Team Forum posts, and at times being too wordy. One thing I struggled with this term was keeping up with the Team Forum, Facebook group, Facebook group chat (for my writing team), and a blog all at once, while balancing my other courses. I posted my assignments in the wrong place when in a rush, which I’m sure created unnecessary inconvenience for our instructor. I also could improve on writing fewer words, letting go of the need to be comprehensive in favour of being engaging.

Impact on Future Goals

Throughout this term, I have learned how to work effectively with a team without ever meeting. This is a useful skill in today’s world. I often have to work with teams remotely in my job at Student Energy, and the systematic process of peer review and clear communication memos are incredibly useful skills that I hope to integrate into my future work with remote teams. I also learned the importance of storytelling – both about my work and about myself. After nearly six years of having a completely blank Linkedin profile and an out of date resume, creating these in this course, as well as a complete Web Portfolio, was an opportunity to highlight my work experience and career interests in ways I never would have otherwise. This process helped me to see running themes and ideas in my own work and life choices that I had never noticed before, which was exciting!