Are you passionate about giving back to your community as a leader? Passionate about vision and health? Interested in connecting with the community of the blind and visually impaired? If you said yes to any of the above, apply to be an executive of Vision Health Volunteers and join us organize fun awareness events and fundraisers to make a positive impact!
- You get to contribute community service in a leadership role
- You get to lead and coordinate an event and/or fundraiser
- You get to broaden your knowledge of vision health
- You get to volunteer with individuals with visual disabilities
Join us in giving what we can to make a positive impact!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
Connect with Vision Health Volunteers on Facebook
Join on our AMS registry OrgSync
Musicians! Do you enjoy performing for others? Love knowing that you brought a smile to someone’s face? Want to help create opportunities for others to share their love for music? MUSIC OUTREACH SOCIETY is currently hiring School Heads and National Outreach Directors for the year of 2016-2017.
To bring MOS to your school, APPLY HERE:https://musicoutreachsociety.wordpress.com/school-head/
To bring MOS to your province, APPLY HERE:
Deadline: September 3, 2016 @ 11:59pm
Connect with us on Facebook
My experiences with Music Outreach have honestly changed my life and I hope that you’ll give Music Outreach a chance to positively change your life too.
” What a perfect way to end our 6th season last night: clear skies, twinkling stars, a golden half-moon shining through the trees and a spectacular production of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at Theatre Under the Stars Vancouver! Kudos to the enormously talented cast, creative team and crew who filled the Malkin Bowl outdoor stage with magic! Big thanks go to Anika Vervecken for her delightful description; to Assistant Stage Manager, Jennifer, for giving VocalEye users a terrific backstage Touch Tour; to the wonderful staff and volunteers at TUTS for making us feel so welcome; to VocalEye Theatre Buddies Tal Jarus, Carol MacDonald and Shanna Yeung for all their kind assistance; and to all our fabulous patrons and guests for attending. Our next season starts next month. Stay tuned… it’s gonna be yuuuuge!”– Steph, the sweet and fun director of VocalEye
We watched Beauty and the Beast live at Theatre Under the Stars with audio description. Then we had a backstage tactile tour when we got to touch different costumes and props and the set. Always a pleasure to volunteer with the VocalEye patrons and team.
Click more to see pictures!
Continue reading “Volunteering with VocalEye at Theatre Under the Stars”
I enjoyed volunteering with the Vancouver Goalball on multiple occasions recently and I want to share goalball with you! I highly recommend checking out this sport if you’ve never heard of it or seen it. The athletes are fun to be around, and they’ll even blindfold you and let you try if you want to 🙂
What is goalball?
- Goalball is a team sport designed specifically for blind and visually impaired athletes. How cool is that a sport that was specifically created for people with disabilities, rather an adaptation of an existing sport
- All athletes wear eyeshades so that everyone’s vision is completely blocked
- The ball has bells inside it and players use the sound of the bell to track it position and movement.
- Goalball athletes throw the ball that across the court into the opponents goal, and use their bodies to block the ball from going in their own net.
How was goalball invented?
- It was created as a means of assisting the rehabilitation of visually impaired WWII veterans.
What is something unique about goalball?
- Goalball spectators must be silent so players can hear the bells in the ball. However, during breaks and when a a goal is scored, you cheer to your heart’s content.
Is goalball a Paralympic sport?
- Yes! Tune in a Rio 2016 Paralympic goalball game this September and cheer on our national team! Goalball has been an official Paralympic sport since 1980.
Where can I see goalball up close in the Vancouver area?
- Vancouver Goalball Club, which includes Canadian National Goalball team members that are going to the Paralympics (amazing!!), practices here in Vancouver.
- You can send me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you in touch with them
- Our club Vision Health Volunteers is courting the idea of asking VGC to do a demo on UBC Campus so if you’re interested and send me an email, this will be more likely to happen.
I’m interested in volunteering. What can I do?
- Be a goal judge, ball retriever, game timers, high-ball judge, help set-up and take down the court for the Vancouver Goalball Club. Practices are usually in the evening.
Thank you to John Tee for getting me interested in goalball! John plays for the Canadian National Goalball team. I befriended John volunteering at an outdoors camp for children that are blind and visually impaired and ever since he’s introduced me to different blind sports.
Supplemental information source: http://paralympic.ca/goalball and the Vancouver Goalball club website