Do’s & Don’ts

DO’s & Don’ts
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/esl-ell-tips-ferlazzo-sypnieski
Ferlazzo, L. (March 12, 2012). Do’s & Don’ts For Teaching English-Language Learners. Retrieved from www.edutopia.org on March 13, 2016.

Edutopia is a great resource for finding information on many topics and themes related to education. While I have come across several blogs that provide us with tips and suggestions on what we should be doing, or stuff we should be incorporating; I have rarely come across blog posts that tell its viewers what not to do. Luckily, through edutopia, I have found this great blog post which tells us what we should NOT be doing with our ELLs in our classrooms while still suggesting what to do. This makes it easy for us not to make mistakes or repeat our mistakes in the classrooms. What I also really liked about this post was that it suggests teachers to allow students to use their native language in the classroom as by not allowing to do this we do not promote a positive learning environment. Also by banning the use of native language, we do not form strong, trustworthy bonds with our students. Forming bonds is part of my teaching philosophy therefore, I am all for it.

This entry was posted in Inquiry, Inquiry Resources. Bookmark the permalink.