Encouraging students

When I started my inquiry project, I was primarily focusing on English Language Learners (ELL’s) and ways to help them or encourage them without ignoring the needs of other students. However, as I am spending more time in the classroom, I am noticing that ELL’s are not the only students who may require that extra attention; many students who are not ELL’s or do not have any behavior issues or any sort of learning disabilities still need that extra help or push.
Like I stated at the beginning of my inquiry, as teachers, we want to help out all of our students, but sometimes this can be challenging. So what to do? Well, the small things that I have picked up on are that first of all use appropriate language suitable for the age of your students. Go over steps/ instructions- make the students repeat instructions after you have asked them what to do. For the students who are really struggling, maybe try to get them to do half of the work for starters so that they can understand the concepts and gain that confidence. During work time or during centers, pull them aside and work with them one on one. After you have gone over instructions, pull out the few students who are struggling and have them sit with you; this way they will know you are close to them when they are completing their work and if they need help, you can assist them right away. Also, always give feedback, especially on good behavior or good work being done. This will encourage and motivate the student.

This entry was posted in Practicum, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.