Reflection- Unit One

Hello everyone!

As part of Unit 1:3 assignment, I was asked to choose a complex term related to my field.  I had to define the chosen term using parenthetical, sentence and expanded forms so that the readers/audience who are unfamiliar with the term can comprehend it.  I chose to define “Bruxism” as this term is relatively common in the dental profession, however, it is intriguing for those unfamiliar with dental jargon.  I tried my best to define the term for the audience.  The sentence definition gave a brief description and covered the basic information about the term in fewer sentences.  The expanded definition served the purpose of elaborating on all important facts related to the term.  I tried to cover all the information that can unravel potential questions arising in the minds of the audience.  After careful evaluation of my definition assignment, I was very confident that my assignment is free of errors and will fulfill its motive.  One thing that I forgot to mention is that over the last few weeks of doing assignments, my writing skills have improved.

The most interesting part that I had not experienced before was the peer review that I had to do on my own.  I partnered up with my team’s member Chae Rin to complete the peer review for the definition assignment.  As I was reading through Chae Rin’s definition, I not only gained an insight about Special Purpose Vehicle but also about reviewing someone else’s work.  In the first round of reading, I learned all about SPV.  I was amazed to realize that well written words can make complicated things so easy to understand.  My perspective of reading got a new dimension after the reviewing process.  Never before had I taken technical writing so seriously.  In my second round of reading, I noted minor grammatical errors that mattered a lot for the audience.  Even though the assignment was well done overall by Chae Rin but these minor grammatical mistakes could not be overlooked.  I had to bring those minute details to attention of Chae Rin.  I could not forget my turn to receive the feedback for my definition assignment.  To my surprise, I had punctuation errors too.  Chae Rin suggested to fix those errors.  So I went back to reading my assignment and quickly picked out those double spaces and comma placement mistakes.  I learned about the careful observation of my reviewer which is expected of the audience.

The outcome of the review process was the editing of the definition. I was to rectify the errors noted by Chae Rin and post the revised version of my definitions.  I am so glad that we were given this opportunity to review each other’s work.  One thing that I am unlikely to repeat in my future writing is grammar/punctuation mistakes. This assignment has granted us the liberty of writing with being able to accept constructive criticism from peers. A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it.  Therefore, I accepted Chae Rin’s suggestions as a learning tool for me.

Throughout the assignments for unit one, I had the opportunity to experience different types of writing.  From creating a blog to writing letters to team members for creating a writing team, from email memo to formal emails addressed to team members expressing gratitude or requesting them to accept me in their team.  All in all, it has been a great writing experience that I can count on in my profession.  Learning from peers with diverse fields is an added advantage of this course.

Thanks

Tarandeep Atwal

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/09/30/revised-definition-of-bruxism/