Reflection-Self Assessment or Self Discovery?

It feels great to write this reflection blog.  It is the fifth one for the technical writing course but feels like a first one every time.  This is because every time I write a reflection, I seem to have discovered a new side or a new perspective of myself.  This course has given me a chance to discover the side of me that can get creative with writing, review someone else’s work and self edit my work with ease.

I was only a little confident with my technical writing skills so when I first took this course, I knew that it would help strengthen that skill.  However, I did not know that this would be an interesting and captivating course.  I must say that Professor Erika Paterson has a great way of teaching this course.  My outlook on writing overall has changed greatly.  This course has helped me and will continue to help me with my article writing, report writing and various other types of writing in my profession.  I can confidently say that I will not shy away from tickling my creative writing skills when needed.

There has been fewer challenges that I personally encountered due to my low tech IQ, however, that did not discourage me.  Perhaps difficulties make one learn better and practice makes perfect.  A problem is a problem only until one solves it.  Once solved, it becomes an experience.  The technical support team at the University has been very prompt in replying to tech issues.

Overall, I am delighted to announce that I enjoyed this course.  It has improved not only my writing but creativity, proofreading, time management and team work skills.  The most precious thing I have learned is to employ YOU attitude in writing.  I would have never known the importance of writing with YOU attitude and the purpose it serves.  This attitude is directly related to my profession.  In my field, it is very important to make the client feel that his needs are prioritized.    This course has granted me various skills to treasure.

Reflection-Web Folio, A web of technicality, creativity and perfection

This technical writing course has allowed us to exhibit creativity during the web folio formation process.  It is a great way to gather all the accomplishments and display my hard work utilized for completion of course assignments and formal report project.  This personalized web folio has uplifted my self esteem.  I feel proud of myself to have learned so much in this course.  Most importantly, all learned skills are deemed useful in the near future in my dental health profession.  The web folio has taken me beyond writing.

Creating a webpage is not merely choosing a theme and simply filling in the content.  It is imperative that the theme, background colour and font of the text are all carefully evaluated.  The point is to convey the information to the readers without causing distraction or disinterest.  The course textbook and the instructor’s blog have been very helpful throughout the process.

To be able to look back at the completed course work, proofread for self editing, revising the peer reviewed work to make further changes before posting has granted a feeling of perfection.  It is easy to proofread someone else’s work than my own.  I had been less confident in self editing prior to taking this course.  The web folio assignment demands that the work posted is perfect, perhaps proofreading over and over again has made me better at it.

Overall, it has been a great assignment with few technical challenges.  I am not a tech pro but I have gained a lot of knowledge in technology during the span of ENGL301 course.  I have also gained the sense of writing with readers’ point of view.

Reflection- Unit Three

Hi all!

It is hard to believe that the semester is close to an end and so is the technical writing course.  It has been a fun filled writing experience till date.  The reflection writing is a great way to sit back and reflect on my strengths and weaknesses I discovered during this course.  It was similar to reinventing myself.  I am confident enough to say that I have come a long way from meek writing to bold and objective writing.

Writing a formal report draft for the first time has boosted my confidence in writing.  Brainstorming for a formal report proposal topic was a challenge in itself.  Since it is one of the major assignments of the course, I am inclined towards giving my best.  Preparing a draft, conducting surveys and interviews seemed like a major operation that I am solely in charge of and responsible for.  It felt great to conduct research on a relevant topic/problem in my field.  The in depth analysis of the problem, proposed solution, inquiry methods and scopes, data collection and recommendations were all pieces of a puzzle waiting to be put together.  In the beginning, it seemed overwhelming but with time and Professor Paterson’s advice through her instructor’s blog, it started to make sense and fall in place.

Writing with YOU attitude was a major learned writing skill in this unit.  Never before could I think that the YOU attitude changes the meaning as whole and it is so important to prioritize the reader’s feelings.  It is actually a very polite and professional way of writing.  The basis of the formal report writing is YOU attitude since I am writing it for my readers to read and act on.  While the problem is put forth by the writer for the readers to take action, the YOU attitude helps to remind them that the taking action will actually benefit the readers, not the writers.  Using this method in peer review has helped me feel very comfortable in providing feedback to my team members.

I had the opportunity to peer review my team member Priyanka Patel’s formal report draft.  The topic she has chosen is very interesting and applicable to me as we both are dental hygienists and the topic discusses the musculoskeletal disorder in dental hygienists and prevention strategies.  Recalling my first ever peer review in this course makes me feel proud of myself because I was not as open with my suggestions then as I am now.  I have gained a deeper insight about the purpose of peer review and how giving a constructive feedback actually helps you in the long run.  Reviewing someone’s writing actually gives the reviewer an opportunity to explore the various writing techniques and styles of the writer.  All in all, this unit has moved me up another step by exposing me to a variety of assignments and various writing challenges.

301-T-Atwal-Formal.Report.Draft

Reflection- Unit Two

Hello everyone!

As the semester is approaching to an end in few weeks, I reflect back on my writing skills when the semester had just begun.  I must say that the technical writing course has surely changed my perspective on writing.  It is funny, however, true to realize that I have become generally precise with writing emails and text messages.  Gaining new knowledge aids in gaining confidence, and that is what I ‘ve experienced in this course.

A very significant and interesting assignment related to this course was creating a Linked In profile.  I had quite a knowledge about social networking sites that excludes Linked In.  The professional networking sites are different, one ought to be professional yet personable.  There are several ways to strengthen the network where small things go a long way.  LinkedIn offers assistance to the beginners to acquaint themselves with best practices for job search, and that is very helpful for inputting all the necessary info and strengthening the profile.  Peer reviewing team member’s profile was really beneficial.  It exposed me to a different angle of looking at the profile, perhaps a viewpoint that a prospective employer holds.  At the same time, the feedback I received from my reviewer was equally helpful.  My reviewer could pinpoint small things in my profile that I could not think needed a change.

Another great opportunity I got was brainstorming ideas for the formal report proposal.  It seemed quite a task to think of something that needed a change or suggestion.  Finally, the idea struck the mind and I got my search going for minimizing caries risk in adolescent clients at Springdale Dental Office.  The formal report proposal was approved to my relief.  It was peer reviewed by my team member with minor errors noted, the review helped me obtain a positive feedback and confidence.  Preparing a report outline was very helpful in providing a brief content of what the report will contain.  Establishing a writing schedule helped in strategizing the whole process of preparing formal report. Creating survey and interview questions was challenging without guidance.  Keeping ethics and personal space in mind is key to generating substantial questions that will eventually yield results.  The research part is a valuable evidence for the basis of my theory.  Besides surveys and interviews, research is a strong component of the formal report to support the proposed solution and its effectiveness.  I am hoping for this ongoing process of preparing formal report to be amazing with various opportunities for learning, critical thinking and self-evaluating.

The peer reviewing process is constructive judgement.  Prior to the very first peer review, I anticipated it to be nerve wracking, on the contrary, it turned out to be complementary to the writing process.  There is an absolute difference between self-editing and editing someone else’s writing.  I have actually found it beneficial to review my team member’s writing, it gives an exposure to different writing techniques.  During the peer review of my team member’s formal report proposal, I got to learn about the topic I would’ve never known.  I was reading and editing with a free mind, grasping new info and exploring a different version of writing, probably unique in its own way.  Similarly, the feedback I receive for my writing allows me to reread my work and have that Aha moment.  The moment when I realize how could I not think of this.  With each peer review, I am seeing improvements in my writing since I check my work with two perspectives, mine and reader’s.

Link to my peer reviewed formal report proposal:

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/10/15/peer-review-of-formal-report-proposal-proposal-for-minimizing-caries-risk-in-adolescent-clients-at-springdale-family-dental/

ENGL301T.Atwal’sRevisedProposal

Reflection- Unit One

Hello everyone!

As part of Unit 1:3 assignment, I was asked to choose a complex term related to my field.  I had to define the chosen term using parenthetical, sentence and expanded forms so that the readers/audience who are unfamiliar with the term can comprehend it.  I chose to define “Bruxism” as this term is relatively common in the dental profession, however, it is intriguing for those unfamiliar with dental jargon.  I tried my best to define the term for the audience.  The sentence definition gave a brief description and covered the basic information about the term in fewer sentences.  The expanded definition served the purpose of elaborating on all important facts related to the term.  I tried to cover all the information that can unravel potential questions arising in the minds of the audience.  After careful evaluation of my definition assignment, I was very confident that my assignment is free of errors and will fulfill its motive.  One thing that I forgot to mention is that over the last few weeks of doing assignments, my writing skills have improved.

The most interesting part that I had not experienced before was the peer review that I had to do on my own.  I partnered up with my team’s member Chae Rin to complete the peer review for the definition assignment.  As I was reading through Chae Rin’s definition, I not only gained an insight about Special Purpose Vehicle but also about reviewing someone else’s work.  In the first round of reading, I learned all about SPV.  I was amazed to realize that well written words can make complicated things so easy to understand.  My perspective of reading got a new dimension after the reviewing process.  Never before had I taken technical writing so seriously.  In my second round of reading, I noted minor grammatical errors that mattered a lot for the audience.  Even though the assignment was well done overall by Chae Rin but these minor grammatical mistakes could not be overlooked.  I had to bring those minute details to attention of Chae Rin.  I could not forget my turn to receive the feedback for my definition assignment.  To my surprise, I had punctuation errors too.  Chae Rin suggested to fix those errors.  So I went back to reading my assignment and quickly picked out those double spaces and comma placement mistakes.  I learned about the careful observation of my reviewer which is expected of the audience.

The outcome of the review process was the editing of the definition. I was to rectify the errors noted by Chae Rin and post the revised version of my definitions.  I am so glad that we were given this opportunity to review each other’s work.  One thing that I am unlikely to repeat in my future writing is grammar/punctuation mistakes. This assignment has granted us the liberty of writing with being able to accept constructive criticism from peers. A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it.  Therefore, I accepted Chae Rin’s suggestions as a learning tool for me.

Throughout the assignments for unit one, I had the opportunity to experience different types of writing.  From creating a blog to writing letters to team members for creating a writing team, from email memo to formal emails addressed to team members expressing gratitude or requesting them to accept me in their team.  All in all, it has been a great writing experience that I can count on in my profession.  Learning from peers with diverse fields is an added advantage of this course.

Thanks

Tarandeep Atwal

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/09/30/revised-definition-of-bruxism/

Email of Invitation to Prospective member 3

To: Chae Rin Yang <chaerinyang@gmail.com>

From: Tarandeep Atwal <t.atwal@alumni.ubc.ca>

Date: September 20, 2019

Subject: Proposal for Writing team formation

Attachment: 301 Taran’s Application Letter

Dear Chae Rin,

I am writing to invite you to join our professional writing team.  I am very impressed with your experience and achievements.

Your experience with drafting and editing for large corporations will provide immense knowledge to our team.  The purpose of our writing team will be fulfilled when team members with expertise in various aspects of technical writing work collaboratively.

I am affirmative that our team will yield great output in the upcoming assignments.  My application letter is attached for reference and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tarandeep Atwal

301 Taran’s Letter of Application

Email of Invitation to Prospective Member 2

To: Priyanka Patel <ppatel45@alumni.ubc.ca>

From: Tarandeep Atwal <t.atwal@alumni.ubc.ca

Date: September 20, 2019

Subject:  Proposal for writing team formation

Dear Priyanka,

I would like to invite you to join our writing team.  I read the application letter posted on your blog and I am impressed with your achievements.

The interesting fact is that we share the same profession and we attained our credentials from the same institution.  This means that we share the same foundation for our literature research, effective communication with clients as well as professional values.  Your volunteer contributions towards the youth are very impressive.

You seem to be the perfect fit for our prospective team if you accept my proposal.  As a team, we can enhance our writing skills and strengthen our overlooked shortcomings. My application letter is attached for reference and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Tarandeep Atwal

301 Taran’s Letter of Application

Email to Member 1 Accepting the team invitation

To: Yury Zhuk < yuryivz@hotmail.com>

From: Tarandeep Atwal < t.atwal@alumni.ubc.ca>

Date: September 20, 2019

Subject: Accepting the proposal of writing team formation

Attachment:  301 Taran’s application letter

Dear Yury,

I am writing to inform you that I gladly accept your invitation to form a writing team.  I have read your application letter as well and it has impressed me immensely.  My search for an eligible and qualified team member like you has come to an end with your invitation.

The experience and skills that you have gained in your field through your extensive devotion and hard work will benefit our team in various ways.  Your professional background in data sciences with ample exposure to technical communication will be a strong basis for the upcoming assignments.

I am delighted as well as grateful to be a part of your team.  I am keen on sharing my strengths and learning to improve my weaknesses while working collaboratively throughout the term. I have attached my application letter for reference.

Sincerely,

Tarandeep Atwal

301 Taran’s Letter of Application

Link

Email Memo

MEMORANDUM

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, Instructor of ENGL 301 at UBC

From: Tarandeep Atwal, Student of ENGL 301 at UBC

Date: September 17, 2019

Subject: Letter of application submitted

As per the course requirement outlined in your blog, I have submitted my letter of application for a position in the professional writing team.  Attached to this memo is a copy of my application letter.

The application letter outlines the following:

• My academic interests
  • My past work experiences
  • My learning philosophy
  • My strengths and weaknesses in my writing skills

If you require any additional information from me, please let me know.

301 Taran’s Letter of Application

301 Taran’s Letter of Application

Letter of Application ENGL 301

936 Lakewood Cres.

Belle River, ON, N0R1A0

t.atwal@alumni.ubc.ca

September 16, 2019

ENGL301 99A: Technical Writing

University of British Columbia

2329 West Mall

Vancouver, BC, V6T1Z4

Dear fellow students of ENGL 301:

I am a third-year student in the Dental Hygiene degree completion program enrolled through distance learning. Never before have dental hygienists had so many opportunities for their education and careers.  There are more options than ever for advancing the career since work settings go beyond the traditional clinic now.  This rapidly growing field has encouraged me to be a part of this program in general and this technical writing course in specific.

Be it any business field, technical writing plays an extremely important role.  As a part of my course assignment, I am seeking a position in your professional writing team for the full semester where I can utilize my creative and professional writing skills.  I am confident that my hardworking and detail-oriented traits will contribute significantly to the team.

With over fifteen years of experience in the dental field, I have had the privilege to work in various dental settings from general practice to specialized field of dental implants and orthodontics.  My interactions with diversity of clients and collaboration with other health professionals have refined my verbal communication skills as well as enhanced my leadership and team player abilities. My profession has furnished me with limitless exposure to literature research, literature review, writing theoretical articles, reports and scientific investigations.

I would like to appreciate your time in reviewing my application.  I am looking forward to be a part of your team and contribute my writing skills for the upcoming assignments.  I would also have the opportunity to replenish some of my skills from your professional team. You are welcome to contact me via email at t.atwal@alumni.ubc.ca.

Sincerely,

Tarandeep Atwal