Reflection- Unit Two

Hello everyone!

As the semester is approaching to an end in few weeks, I reflect back on my writing skills when the semester had just begun.  I must say that the technical writing course has surely changed my perspective on writing.  It is funny, however, true to realize that I have become generally precise with writing emails and text messages.  Gaining new knowledge aids in gaining confidence, and that is what I ‘ve experienced in this course.

A very significant and interesting assignment related to this course was creating a Linked In profile.  I had quite a knowledge about social networking sites that excludes Linked In.  The professional networking sites are different, one ought to be professional yet personable.  There are several ways to strengthen the network where small things go a long way.  LinkedIn offers assistance to the beginners to acquaint themselves with best practices for job search, and that is very helpful for inputting all the necessary info and strengthening the profile.  Peer reviewing team member’s profile was really beneficial.  It exposed me to a different angle of looking at the profile, perhaps a viewpoint that a prospective employer holds.  At the same time, the feedback I received from my reviewer was equally helpful.  My reviewer could pinpoint small things in my profile that I could not think needed a change.

Another great opportunity I got was brainstorming ideas for the formal report proposal.  It seemed quite a task to think of something that needed a change or suggestion.  Finally, the idea struck the mind and I got my search going for minimizing caries risk in adolescent clients at Springdale Dental Office.  The formal report proposal was approved to my relief.  It was peer reviewed by my team member with minor errors noted, the review helped me obtain a positive feedback and confidence.  Preparing a report outline was very helpful in providing a brief content of what the report will contain.  Establishing a writing schedule helped in strategizing the whole process of preparing formal report. Creating survey and interview questions was challenging without guidance.  Keeping ethics and personal space in mind is key to generating substantial questions that will eventually yield results.  The research part is a valuable evidence for the basis of my theory.  Besides surveys and interviews, research is a strong component of the formal report to support the proposed solution and its effectiveness.  I am hoping for this ongoing process of preparing formal report to be amazing with various opportunities for learning, critical thinking and self-evaluating.

The peer reviewing process is constructive judgement.  Prior to the very first peer review, I anticipated it to be nerve wracking, on the contrary, it turned out to be complementary to the writing process.  There is an absolute difference between self-editing and editing someone else’s writing.  I have actually found it beneficial to review my team member’s writing, it gives an exposure to different writing techniques.  During the peer review of my team member’s formal report proposal, I got to learn about the topic I would’ve never known.  I was reading and editing with a free mind, grasping new info and exploring a different version of writing, probably unique in its own way.  Similarly, the feedback I receive for my writing allows me to reread my work and have that Aha moment.  The moment when I realize how could I not think of this.  With each peer review, I am seeing improvements in my writing since I check my work with two perspectives, mine and reader’s.

Link to my peer reviewed formal report proposal:

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/10/15/peer-review-of-formal-report-proposal-proposal-for-minimizing-caries-risk-in-adolescent-clients-at-springdale-family-dental/

ENGL301T.Atwal’sRevisedProposal