What Should I Be For Halloween?

Hello Walter Gageites! Around this time of year you are probably hearing a lot about stuff like cultural appropriation and how it relates to Halloween costumes. I am here to shed some light on the topic and hopefully help you understand the effects your costumes can have on the people around you, as well as answer some of the common questions you may have on the topic.

Cultural appropriation means quite literally, “the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture and used out of context – sometimes negatively,” which can have wildly negative consequences, especially when the things being taken are from a less dominant culture. When aspects of a less dominant culture are taken by more dominant cultures, it can lead to a stereotyping of that culture. That culture will be seen as ‘exotic’ or ‘wild’ and it can lead to people of that culture being treated as less like a person with thoughts and feelings, and more like a caricature of a culture that maybe we know little about. There is also something called cultural exchange which is a wonderful thing when consensual between both parties. This is not however, particularly relevant when discussing Halloween costumes, because if you’re making a culture into a costume it is not a showing of respect. If you are taking something from a culture that is not your own, and making it into a costume, I would encourage you to think about the impact that could have on the people around you and on a broader community as well.

Some common thoughts and questions you could be having:

1. “Well I asked my friend and she’s *enter culture here* and didn’t find it offensive so why should you care?”
  • Hey, that’s great! I’m glad you are taking the time to see if your actions could be affecting others. Unfortunately, your friend cannot speak for her entire culture. Just as I cannot speak to what every person in my culture might find offensive, neither can your friend.
  1. “It’s just a Halloween costume, it’s supposed to be funny, and you just need to chill.”
  • For many it may seem this way, but for the people who are being targeted with a racist or culturally appropriative costume, it actually leads to negative stereotypes being perpetuated in society. When these stereotypes are showcased more and more frequently it becomes easier for people to accept them whether consciously or not. So as you may wear the costume for the day, that culture wears the stigma of that costume for life.
  1. “What if it’s a character that I’m playing, not a cultural identity?”
  • If you are wanting to play a character from another culture that could be totally fine and it could be a bit insensitive. Look into the history of that character to help you find out which, and make your decision. For example, if you love Disney and want to dress up as Pocahontas for Halloween you might want to consider the real history of Pocahontas* (not the Disneyfied version) which is a much darker and awful story. For many Aboriginal peoples, specifically the Powhatan Nation which Pocahontas is from, the Disney movie Pocahontas did a great disservice to the history of their oppression. So this is an example of a character that although you may simply want to be a Disney character, you cannot separate one version of Pocahontas from the other and it would probably be best not to dress as that character.
  1. “I’m not sure if my costume is culturally insensitive or not… what should I do?”
  • When in doubt, don’t wear it! Why risk offending other people on something that could be sacred to them just so you get to wear something for one night? There are so many costumes that are not offensive, so show some creativity, and create one!

This is not at all exhaustive on the topic of cultural appropriation. I have barely scraped the surface but hopefully given you something to think about before Halloween. If you are interested in learning more, google it, and find out how you feel about it after reading more peoples thoughts and opinions. A good place to start is linked below**. Keep in mind that I am not an expert on this and there are many opinions held by others that may contrast with mine. I am not the end all and be all on this topic, far from it, but I think this is an important discourse for us to have so if you have differing ideas feel free to comment below and I would love to have a conversation with you.

*http://www.ancient-origins.net/history-famous-people/true-story-pocahontas-not-told-disney-002285

**http://mycultureisnotatrend.tumblr.com/post/781005138/on-reverse-cultural-appropriation

Emily Speidel