Nourish Yourself

Don’t just survive in exam season, thrive in it.

No matter what year or program you’re in, no matter how many exams, papers, assignments are due, December is a stressful time for all students.  But understand that stress is completely normal and just a part of your journey in education and on to your career. Here are some quick tips that have truly helped me handle stress around exams or any other stressful time at school.

1. Eat healthy – Don’t get me wrong, I love dark chocolate, chips and candy to snack on when I am studying. But remember to actually have a meal like eggs and toast for breakfast, a salad of sushi for lunch and maybe some pasta for dinner.
  2. Eat your whole grains and veggies – incase the first point didn’t get through, you need to nourish your brain with all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
  3. Bring a snack and water bottle to exams – Maybe not something lou12312411_10156384094245160_1760498077_nd and crunchy but two and half hours is a long time to sit without any food.
  4. Use ear plugs – the smallest noise or cough can break my concentration when I am stressed, using ear plugs in an exam really helps me focus and not worry about what other people are doing.
  5. Sleep – your brain needs sleep to build connections and retain memories. Less than 6 hours of sleep and you are definitely deprived, make sure you incorporate sleep into your schedule!
  6. Be prepared – study with others, make flashcards on online apps like Study Blue or Quizlet. Go to review sessions, email your professor and ask lots of questions, feeling prepared is the best way not to feel stress.
  7. Exercise – take a 60, 30, 20, 15, 10 minute break, whatever little time you can to get your heart rate up and release endorphins that help your mood.
  8. Talk it out – Whatever you are dealing with, you are not alone. Talk out your stresses with friends, family members, counselors at UBC Counseling Services and your academic advisors. They are there to help you when things get tough!
  9. Cut out distractions – put your phone away, stay good bye to Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Netflix. These will not help you learn what you are studying.

Remember what’s important – Your GPA doesn’t define you. Hopefully you are at UBC starting or finishing a program to better your future, and the skills you develop while at University, and in work and volunteer experiences are what are most important in your future career.  Everything you have to give right now is enough and you will thrive in this last stretch of 2015!

– Lawren Pallot